Chapter 35

Early Thursday morning, around 4:00am, India was fast asleep in her bed. She slept peacefully dreaming about her mother in heaven. In India’s dream she was five years old again, walking on the beach with both of her parents smiling. The ocean water grazed the sand as the waves pushed the gentle tide in.

            India ran to the water and knelt down to grab a shell that lies flat on the ground. She picked up the shell and wiped it off. ‘This would be a great present for her mother’ India thought. She skipped back to her parents lifting up the gift with both hands, but before her mother could receive it, darkness began to fill the sky. India’s dream began to fade off in her mind, and her eyes shot open.

            Her phone was ringing loudly on the dresser next to her, and it wasn’t her alarm. India turned to the nightstand and grabbed the phone, the number she saw on the screen she didn’t know. Still, if someone was calling at this hour it could be important. “Hello?” India answered, soundly sleepily.

            “India!” a female voice called out. “This Tyrika! Trevor’s Sista’!”

            India sat up in bed, wondering why her boyfriend’s sister was calling. “hey… um, what is it?” she yawned.

            “Trevor’s in the hospital!” Tyrika exclaimed. India’s heart sunk in her chest when she heard that.

            “What?” She asked in unbelief. Her mind flicked on, and she knew it had to be serious to call someone at four in the morning.

            “He’s in the Hospital!” Tyrika repeated. “He got shot earlier today, …”

            “Somebody ‘Shot’ him?” India’s voice grew loud and her eyes widened. “W-what, why, … wh-where are ya’ll?” She stammered.

            “First Baptist Hospital. They got him in E.R,” Tyrika informed.

            “Don’t go no where! I’m on my way,” India ripped off her covers and ran to her closet. She grabbed a random jacket to put on and then rushed to her father’s room. He was sound asleep in bed with his new wife, Stacy. “Dad… dad…” India muttered, shaking her father’s arm. He turned over in bed and cracked his eyes open, wondering who was bothering him. “Dad!”

            “… Yea…” he grumbled, hearing India’s voice.

            “I have to go the hospital!” India exclaimed. “Now!”
            “Huh? … for what?” he asked, still not fully awake.

            “Trevor’s there! He’s hurt, and badly,”

            “Trevor? Who’s that?” her father grumbled.

            India impatiently rolled her eyes. “My boyfriend dad, I need to get down there now!” She stared down at him in disbelief. He paid such little attention to his oldest daughter that her personally life was a complete mystery to him.

            “What ever,” he told her. India left his side that second and dashed out of the house. It seemed like her father’s lack of concern for her finally paid off.

            She got inside her father’s third favorite car and switched it on. A million thoughts raced through her mind about Trevor’s condition. She really hoped everything was okay, but knew that wasn’t likely. India swung the gears to reverse and swerved out of the driveway, speeding off to the hospital.

            India’s drive to First Baptist Hospital had to be the longest ride of her life. She went as fast as she could hoping she wouldn’t get pulled over. It wasn’t too much longer before she reached the Hospital and pulled in the closest parking spot she could find.

            In the lobby of the Hospital stood everybody who truly cared about Trevor; Baby-D, Heavy, Pit, Tyrika and Thoro were all there. India came through the door and spotted his family hanging around looking distressed. Tyrika was sitting in a chair with her hands on her face, crying while Baby-D sat by her. Thoro and Pit were leaning on the wall talking to each other and Heavy was pacing the floor back and forth, appearing to be more disturbed than the others.

            “Yo… India!” Thoro called out, waving her in their direction.

            “What happened?” India asked, jogged to Thoro. She pulled her jacked tighter on her torso; the air in the hospital was cold and uncomfortable.

            “Somebody shot Pyro man,” he said, telling her the same thing Tyrika did. Heavy stopped walking in circles and marched to them, looking extremely angry.

            “It wasn’t ‘somebody’,” He barked, gazing Thoro in the eyes. His harsh tone took India back in intimidation. She’s never met Trevor’s brother before, and his first impression was kind of scary. “Aye we know who do it . . . we know who did it.” He clenched his teeth and returned to pacing around.

            Thoro shook his head. “Heavy takin’ it kind of hard.”

            “Yea, it’s best we leave em be,” Pit added.

            “So where’s Trevor? And When can we see him?” India asked, increasing in worry.

            “He in the emergency room. And I don’t know when we can see em,” Thoro explained. “We been here all night already, they might hold til’ noon. I don’t know for sure though.”

            India folded her arms, trying to stay warm. “I hope he’s okay,” India said, taking a seat next to Baby-D. She wiped away a tear that glided down her face, and got ready for a twenty-four hour wait.