Chapter 4

All three of us were gaping at this horrific sight.I took a glimpse of my grandmother who was lying lifeless on the bed with her face and body turned blackish blue just like the shade of midnight,the ECG wasn't displaying any sort of reading on it.I realized that my granny has left me.

I gasped in agitation and tears started streaming down my face. I was ready to burst into the room and take my granny in my arms to embrace her,but before I could do so,the doctor interrupted.

He was transfixed at the sight for a moment too,but he asked no one to enter the room.

"What's happening, doctor?" I almost yelled with anguish.

"Calm down! Please, calm down, Miss Acira"

"What?! You want me to calm down, look what happened to granny!" I uttered in a voice filled with torment.

Stephen's hands locked around my shoulder, stopping me.I looked at him from over my shoulder.

"Wait,Acira. Getting afflicted like this won't help." He said in a mild tone.

"He's right,getting distressed won't help anyone!  I believe that this disease is contagious. " The doctor replied.

" It could be some microorganism?"
I began my interrogation.

"I don't know for sure,but chances are high" he said.

"Can we get a sample of their blood for testing?We are microbiologist,we might figure out something." Stephen demanded from behind.

"Well,you can, but first I need to fix all of this." The doctor answered and glimpsed at the scene of woe again.

The doctor asked a few staffs who were working  in the hospital to shift the victims into the isolation ward.

He also asked them to wear gloves and masks to avoid any sort of direct contact with their bodies.

I wasn't able to get over the trauma yet. The tears kept streaming down my face and all the memories of everything that happened today were replying in the back of my mind. This evocation of the incidents were involuntary.

I was sitting on the bench thinking all this when

Stephen came to me with two burritos clasped in his hands.

"You haven't eaten anything since we came here,I know what's happening here is unacceptable, but I  don't know if we'll get another chance to grab a meal. It's better to eat something now."

"I am not hungry" I replied without looking at him.

"Do you think not eating will help you or anyone else?" He questioned.

I sobbed,but didn't say anything.

"So you're not hungry? Okay! Me neither!" He exclaimed and as he went towards the dustbin and dropped both the burritos into it.

" How's that? Better than eating them,aye?" He said in a sarcastic tone.

I was speechless at this stupid act performed by him.

He came to me and occupied the seat next to me.

"I don't understand why you girls have to be so weak?

I lost my dad when I was eleven. I didn't stop eating or drinking or breathing....I know it hurts to lose someone you love,but punishing yourself for this will not help. Will it?"

"No,it won't,but I can't forget everything in an instant, all the tragedy that has happened a few moments ago"

"I didn't mean..."

"Here!" The doctor arrived at the scene cutting him short.

He handed us the sample of my grandmother's blood and suggested us to be careful while performing any test as it was a contagious sample.

I wiped off my tears and took the box in which the sample was contained safely.

"Gracious" we said to the doctor and decided to depart. I was really impatient to know what's going on.

******** ******* *******