Though It Doesn't Beat

*Title inspired by Motionless In White's song The Black Damask (The Fog)*

I couldn't believe what they were saying. Mate? No. "How do you guys know? It's basically impossible to know for sure who is unless you go through all the rituals." As much as I wanted to believe them, I knew that there are tests vampire and their partner have to go through to find out if they are your true mate.

But these tests are highly dangerous and can lead to death. "Hello Ryan, we all have found our mates, we know how it feels. We know the symptoms, we've gone through them," Ricky said.

"Well it doesn't matter if she's my mate or not. I have to stay away from her. I already hurt her. I'm not going to hurt her again. She's better off alone."

I knew how selfish it sounds but I had to think about Autumn's feelings toward me. She probably hates me, may think I have issues. One minute I'm perfectly sane the next I treat her like she's nothing. She deserves better.

"I don't deserve her......." and with that the guys grew silent and I felt as if I couldn't breathe. "I have to go," I said as I quickly got up and walked really fast to my car. I stood there besides my car door trying to breathe. Once it settled down I hopped into my car and drove back to my apartment.

When I got there I saw an unusual black car parked in front of my apartment. It's probably nothing, I'm just a little paranoid right now. I parked in my usual spot and for out my car, trying to avoid the black car.

Just before I was able to open my front door I heard my name being called. When I heard my name, I knew exactly who it was............