Chapter 29

Phil woke up slowly and painful, aware of the throbbing shooting through his body as soon as he was conscious. The air smelled of the overwhelming scent of sanitation that reminds you the opposite of home, he longed for his comfortable bed. He wasn't sure how long he'd been out but he hoped that someone had fed his cat.

He delayed opening his eyes, knowing that it was going to be overwhelmingly bright as soon as he did, and was right, as soon as he slightly opened them, fluorescent light bloomed through his eyelids and he cringed. A soft gasp was heard next to him and he turned his head, meeting eyes with Dan who sat in a wheelchair, hair curly and messy and eyes tired.

Why was Phil in bed and Dan not, Dan was the one shot, "morning," Dan greeted in a rough voice, the sounds having to travel through thick mucus that had made home in his tired throat, "or more like evening, it's 4pm. But it's morning somewhere." Dan cleared his throat, straightening up his back.

"I-" Phil paused and looked at Dan's leg, coated by a large black cast, "was I shot?" Dan smiled somewhat painfully.

"Maybe telling a guy with a gun that you would tell the police wasn't a good idea," he wiped his eyes, "I was lucky, got shot in the leg, but you were shot in the lung," his voice cracked, "I thought you were going to die..."

"I'm not going to, right?" Dans smile widened bigger and my happily.

"According to the doctor, no," Phil let out a low breath, suddenly aware that all his pain was in the his lungs and that's what he felt so horrible breathing, "they took you into surgery immediately, told me people didn't usually survive this type of stuff." More tears were streaking down Dans face, "I'm so sorry I drug you into this mess."

"But did I die tho?"

"No."

"Then it's fine, we're fine," Phil smiled and took Dan's hand gently, not able to sit up easily.

"You're so cheesy," Dan laughed, he moved closer so Phil didn't have to move to hold his hand, "they want to keep a few days, or weeks, to make sure you heal correctly."

Phil looked reluctant but nodded anyway, rubbing his thumb over Dans knuckle, "Did they find Ashton?"

"No, they probably will quickly, he's not the smartest," Dan smiled slightly, looking around the hospital. Dan reached over Phil, grabbing the remote and switching through the channel until he found Magic Mike xL playing, with a larger smile, he leaned back in his chair and looked up at the small TV on the wall. Phil laughed.

"Are you serious?" He looked up, Dan nodded.

"Would you rather watch something else?" Phil looked up at the shirtless dude on the screen. Shrugging and giving up, not really having any complaints.

No one actually reads author notes but like imma write this anyway. Okay so like this book probably has the most readers out of the others and IM HYPED BLESS THANKS SO MUCH FOR TAKING TIME TO ACTUALLY READ MY BOOK THANK YOU SO MUCH