Chapter Seventeen: "Nightmare"

The text continued to wander through my mind, echoing painfully.

I'm coming for her in two weeks. I need your help, meet me in the usual spot and I'll explain everything. You have until eleven A.M.

It was like it wanted to continue torturing me, putting me through the same state of mind over and over.

Of course Niall had gone out because of the text, only telling me that he was meeting up with a friend, and I felt helpless until he came back.

I've been held up in the bedroom, by choice, that is. Niall has constantly tried to lure me out with clever footsteps and calls of moose tracks ice cream, but I just wasn't ready to face him after realizing we were caught in some stupid dance that would probably end with my angle twisted and his leg broken.

Frowning as the door knob twisted - I shouted profanities mentally at myself for forgetting to lock the damn door - I fixed my eyes on the floor. No way could I look at the guy who supposedly had fallen in love with me.

Why was it so damn hard for me to get it through my head? Yes, I found him extremely attractive, and that's the best answer for me being so disgusted at the girls he'd taken under his wing for two whole years, but that didn't have anything to do with his feelings.

His icy blue eyes peered into the room, catching mine. After hearing Claire's words shout in my mind repeatedly, his eyes stopped my heart.

God, I'm such an idiot...

"I can't believe you turned ice cream down," he chuckled, stepping more into the room. Thankfully, he left the door open. But it wasn't like I could cry for help if he made a move because no one was here - it was only the two of us.

"Not really up for it," I sighed. He came to sit on the edge of the bed, not too far from my spot against the headboard. I guess I'd been in the same position since five minutes after Claire left, and I wouldn't deny it.

"Since when have you never been up for ice cream?" he asked, his voice showing signs of a little serious concern. At first I stared at him confusion, wondering how he knew that ice cream was my favorite thing to turn to in stressful or boring times. Although as I recalled a few times before being around him for days at a time, more toward a year ago - or somewhere in that time period - I'd slipped on the fact when ranting and blabbering unintentionally.

I shrugged in reply, and his eyes softened extremely. In a way, I felt my body tingle at the look he gave me. It got to the point where I was a little annoyed.

"Brielle," he whispered, and I found myself staring at him lips, completely distracted.

Was I ever going to admit that we'd kissed? Was I ever going to mention the fact that I liked it? That I wanted to feel his lips on mine again?

Or was I going to be ridiculous and pretend it had never happened?

"...completely wrong."

I blinked, glancing up at his very worried eyes. "I'm sorry?"

He chuckled slightly, but it wasn't a sign of relief or humor. I knew he was too worried to even know what to do with himself.

"I said that I know something is completely wrong. Do you want to talk about it?"

I stared at him, all of my thoughts running through my head at once. Frowning, I leaned forward with a questioning look.

"Niall... were you serious when you said you wouldn't let anything happen to me?"