Chapter Twenty-Three: "No More Dead"

~Brielle~

"Brielle, think about this," Claire pleaded. Her eyes were desperate, but that only made me angrier and more frustrated.

"What, Claire? Think about what? I'm in love with him, and there's not a damn chance that I'm going to let him die because of me. I don't know what he wants with me, but I'm going to let him have it," I said firmly.

Nothing neither Harry or Claire could do would change my mind, would set my determination in a different direction. I was not going to lose Niall after everyone else. Not this time.

"Then what happens to you?" she retorted. It was obvious that she was upset with me for only thinking of Niall in this situation, and I didn't blame her.

Her best friend was setting herself up for death in order to save someone else, which wouldn't settle with me, either. But it needed to be done.

"I die, I live, I don't know," I shrugged. "But he has to live. I don't care what I have to do."

"Brielle, what if he's bluffing?" Harry piped in. He'd been quiet through this entire ordeal, and it surprised me a little when he spoke up. "What if he's just yanking your chain to get this plan from you and use it against you?"

"We'll add it to the list of things he's got against me," I said. "I'm not changing my mind."

"He's going to kill you!" Claire shouted in pure frustration.

"Then so be it!" I screamed even louder, my face turning red instantly. "I can't let anyone else die because of me! So let me do this!"

She started sobbing her heart out, and I was hoping that she was trying to accept my decision. As much as I wanted to comfort her, I knew it would only make things worse - I kept my distance.

"Brielle, please just think about this," Harry pleaded in a much more calm voice, one that Claire never seemed to posses anymore.

"I have thought about it," I grumbled numbly. "What's the plan?"

He tried to comfort Claire, who had walked off to the corner of the room, his eyes reluctant and his mouth shut. He didn't know what to answer me with.

I took a deep breath and asked very, very slowly, "What is the plan?"

He still didn't answer, and somewhere inside of me, I'd had enough. I stomped toward him, gripped his collar with my tight, white fists, and shoved him up in the air in pure, pure anger.

"Tell me the plan, damn it. Or so help me God I'm going to lose my mind."

"Brielle, stop it!" Claire screamed at me, but I stood my ground.

Harry attempted to ease my tightening fists, even if it was useless.

"Stop!" Claire screamed even louder. And when I didn't reply, nor move, she ripped my hands from Harry's collar and shoved me away with every ounce of strength inside of her petite, still thin body.

"This is what he wants!" she shouted at me, tears steady streaming down her face. "He wants you to get angry, and act like this! He wants you to become him!"

Her words seemed to run through me like a river, steady and continuously. When it struck, I couldn't answer. All my anger subsided momentarily, and I felt tears at my eyes. The anger returned, but for a different reason. I threw my fist against the hotel room wall as I made my way to the door, ripping it open and stomping out of the room. I didn't know where I was going, or why, but I just knew I needed to get away from that environment and calm myself down a little.