Chapter Twenty-Four: "Leaving"

~Brielle~

I stared around my room for any last detail that I'd missed, any last poster or journal. I'd loved collecting and writing in journals, but after I realized the type of person both my aunt and brother were, I'd lost interest. Why write about a sob story?

Anyway, back to my empty bedroom.

I smiled in triumph when I saw nothing left, and hulled the last box on the floor up in my arms. Everything but the paint on the walls was gone.

Well, except for the bed. But even that, because Aunt Judie told me that my next four years would long ones, so they wouldn't need it.

I was more convinced that she was getting rid of me than letting me go off to college. She was more eager than anyone in the house.

Uncle John was very upset, because he's grown a liking to me over the previous years that I've spent residing in his home.

Yes, residing is the word I've used. I don't live here, simply because it isn't my home. My home was the place both my parents and I slept in, spent our mornings and nights in. Not this ugly environment that I've been forced to "reside" in.

And now I was leaving, going away and staying for four years. Four years that I'll cherish, and enjoy, and make a life of myself. I needed to get away from my past for awhile.

So I proudly made my way out of the room and walked downstairs, where Dan, Judie, and Carly sat. Judie had never looked so happy, but for different reasons. John was so teary-eyed, even with a sad smile. And Carly, well, Carly was just playing with a rose that I'd picked for her in the garden yesterday.

The sound of footsteps made them turn, and I was met with three different emotions.

"Is that all that is left?" Judie asked excitedly, her eyes gleaming.

For whatever reason she hated me, I couldn't quite get that to change. She'll always hate me, and I'll always wonder exactly why.

"Yeah," I sighed, gently setting the box down near the door. The warm summer air was one that marked my new beginning, but it hadn't started off just yet.

"Why do you have to go?" Carly piped, her voice curious and sad. She knew what was going on, yet she was too innocent to think it be true.

I repressed a sad smile and leaned down so I was eye level with her. Although before I could say anything, she wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and bear hugged me.

I laughed, even if there were tears in my eyes. She would be the one I missed most, because she not only welcomed me with the most open arms, but she gave me a home within her space. A home to look forward to. I would miss her more than anything.

"I'm gonna be back," I whispered to her. "I promise you I will."

"Tomorrow?"

Laughing again, I pulled away and kissed her forehead.

"Carls, I'm going to be going away for a little bit. Remember when I graduated?"

She nodded, biting her tiny bottom lip.

"Everyone was wearing red," she muttered. "And they threw their hats up in the air, like this."

She threw her arm up in the air like graduates did on their day of freedom, and as I started laughing, I started crying, too. I'd miss her too much to leave...

"Yes," I breathed. "Well you know how when secret agents finish a job, they have to go off and finish another one?"

She giggled. "Like GI Joe."