Chapter Twenty: "Eager"

"I swear you're going to drive yourself nuts if you continue to stare at that phone, Bri."

I blinked, turning my attention away from my dark screened phone. He hadn't text me yet, and it's been a day. I was starting to get worried, but at the same time I realized that we weren't together, it's only been a day, and there's no way he could be as worried as I was.

"He'll call," she assured me, maybe for the seventh time today. I awoke with my eyes on the phone, as it continued all day. But I never got so much as a word from him.

"I'm obsessing," I grumbled, throwing my phone on the bed. "I've been obsessing, and no one is making it any better."

"Shopping spree?" she suggested, hopeful eyes staring back at me.

She looked a little bit healthier, which I was glad for. I made sure to help her, too, because I still hated seeing her so thin. The best part was seeing her eyes brighter, much lighter and alive now.

I laughed, nodding my head. "I need it."

She jumped up in excitement and ran to the bathroom. I laughed once more as she unintentionally slammed the door closed.

The hotel room wasn't all that fancy, but it was definitely a place to sleep. I had a nightmare last night, and Claire tried to wake me up. Although it was nothing like Niall. I missed his arms, and his lips, and his warm smile, and who could forget those icy blue eyes?

I shouted at myself in my thoughts, because it's only been one day. I was definitely obsessing.

I got up and began pulling clothes on, and pulled my hair into a side braid with a French one running from the other side of my head. Just as I'd finished, my phone began blaring Katy Perry, and I jumped at the startle.

I almost dove to grab it, quickly sliding my finger across the bottom of the screen.

"Hello?"

"Brielle. Hi."

His Irish accent entered my ears, a completely blissful sound that I felt like I hadn't heard in ages.

"Niall," I grinned. "Hey. I was a little convinced you wouldn't call."

"Have you been standing next to the phone all day?" he asked, and I could hear his smirk over the line.

I scratched the back of my neck, making it sound like I'd been hesitating to answer.

"Um, no."

He laughed, another sound I missed hearing.

"Brielle, I know you're lying."

"Well I didn't know whether I'd get to see you again after our little... episode."

I'm sure he noticed the softness and awkwardness of my voice, which he didn't mention.

"I know... me too."

I began to ask him about his day, and what he'd been up to. He hadn't been up to much, so the conversation wasn't all that interesting. We rambled about a few things until we turned back on track.

"So how is the hotel room?"

I could feel the despair in his voice, as if hearing it wasn't enough. This made me frown.

"It's... I mean it's a room," I replied quietly. "I know nothing can beat your apartment, though. I felt more comfortable there."

"Well I think it misses you," he laughed.

"What?" I couldn't help but giggle, seeing as how I hadn't heard anyone mention wood missing someone.

"It creaks and groans, and the bed is cold. Sometimes I wonder if you've made an impression on them."