Chapter Twenty-Six: "No Mistakes"

The sun had set over the horizon, making everything around me darker. The city lights turned on, igniting every alleyway and dark corner.

The city became more alive with each passing second, which was odd to me. The dark meant night, and night to me meant sleep. How could the city become more alive and excited when it was supposed to be sleeping?

I guess that's how cities worked, though. They were the opposite of your normal perspective on life.

By the the anger had subsided, and my tears had dried to only feel like tiny twigs on my skin. I didn't try to wipe them away, though. I left them there. What was the point anymore?

The door to the roof burst open, even if I knew that it wasn't meant that way. The door was just too heavy and old to keep quiet and undetected. To seem new.

"I never quite thought you could lose your temper like that."

Claire was probably too angry at me for grabbing Harry to come talk to me herself, which I didn't blame her for. I'd lost my mind and everything went black. It was so bad that I'd wondered whether that was the process Niall went through when he went completely ballistic. What if I'd gotten to that height? What would've happened them?

"Me neither," I mumbled.

There was no doubt in my mind that I regretted losing control of myself back in that room, but fawning over it never helped anything. I needed to fix things.

"Claire's not angry at you, Bri," he told me, as if reading my thoughts from when he first walked out. "She's just shaken up."

I chuckled humorlessly, knowing exactly why. "Yeah, because her best friend almost hit her boyfriend and practically watched her lose control of her temper. I didn't know she'd even still be here."

"Because she cares," he said, and I saw that he jumped up on the ledge and took a seat next to me in a similar position. "And she knows the feeling of being in love. She knows how much you care about Niall, and she doesn't blame you for feeling out of your mind."

"You've been in danger before," I shrugged. "There's people who want to jump you and humiliate you all the time. And not once has she gone ballistic like I just did."

Harry shook his head and looked at me intently. "I wasn't kidnapped and told that I'd be beaten until I promised to keep my love for her to myself, Brielle. She doesn't know what it's like to deal with that kind of danger."

"Which makes me feel so much worse..."

He sighed, and moved to look at the city lights again.

"We'll find him, Bri. You know we will."

"He's smart. If we do, it won't be easy. And even if we turn your plan in, he won't let him go. He'll just stop beating him."

"We'll find a way," he reasoned.

"Harry, we know him. We know how he can be, and there is no damn guarantee that after the plan is turned in, he'll keep his end of the deal. How do we know that he won't throw Niall's body to the ground on the nineteenth?"

"Because we have faith," Harry said, interrupting my emotional roller coaster. The way he was so firm and determined made me see he was right. "We have faith that we're going to win this war, and Niall will be returned home safe and sound. You'll live, and he will go to Hell for everything that he's done."

I sighed, turning my head back to the ever-awakening city.

"Come on," he finally said, lifting his legs back over the ledge and hopping down to the ground. I looked at him in confusion.