My new life; Fionas POV

"Everyone, meet Miss Fiona Frauenfeld," smiled Mrs Oakley, my new maths teacher. I had just transferred schools, and homes, to get away from the terrors of Ireland I had caused. I blushed underneath my large, carrot ginger hair falling over my face, protecting my blush.

"Hey, Fiona!" Called a voice from the back of the room. I recognised his face. My fears doubled. It was Hugh Apiston. He had come to Ireland for a holiday last year, six weeks, and we'd become friends. I had no idea he would be here. "Right, Mr Apiston. You know you shouldn't shout out." Hugh made an innocent look. "I'm terribly sorry Miss Oakley. I shall never do it again." He said sarcastically. Miss Oakley laughed. Then she pointed over at the empty seat next to him. "Right, students. We have to be extra careful with Fiona, for she is a refugee from Ireland. You must all he polite and not make fun; she has faced a terrible loss and now needs support. Right, Fiona. Since the only spare seat just happens to be next to Mr Apiston, would you kindly make your way to the back of the room?" I did as I was asked.

As I slowly made my way, heads turned and whispering voices could be hears but no real words said. I sat down next to Hugh. "I made Millard move over - Miss told us you were coming yesterday." I nodded shyly. Millard, a boy at the end of the row, passes me a plain orange book. "You have to write: Miss Eva Oakley on the first line, Mathematics on the second, your own name including middle names on the third, and COMMS 18 on the fourth." Millard explained. I nodded and wrote what he said.

"And if pi's numbers were translated into letters, which you will now copy down in your books, find your full names. The first person to so so with written proof will get my gold star for the lesson." Explained Miss Oakley. I bent over my book and started looking for my name. I finally found Fion on the thirty-first line, but the next letter was a H, so I had not got very far. "Right, has anyone found their name?" Miss Oakley asked the the end of the lesson. Millard's hand shot up. "I found Millard Nullings will die on the night his daily news reporter was born but I don't think I will." And guess what, with written proof, he was correct. And Miss Oakley gave him two gold stars! I stared at his PSD (Personal Study Diary) and on his gold star page, I counted twenty-seven. The academic year started only three weeks ago. This guy was good.

"Fiona, wait!" Hugh called from down the hall. I turned meekly and waited for him. "I can't believe your here," he exaggerated. I nodded, blushing. "So, what have you got next?" He asked. I stared down at my timetable and pointed at Drama. "Cool, me too. I'll show you the way." He grabbed mg arm and pulled me out of the building and dragged me into a slightly bigger one. When you got to a set of big, navy blue double doors, there was already a line forming. I recognised some from maths, but the majority were new. They all stared. I started to feel a little uncomfortable, and shrank down into the wall. People started whispering, and then one girl turned and said:"Hi, I'm Bronwyn. What's your name?" I shrugged slightly, blushing. "Its Fiona," said Hugh, quickly. Bronwyn laughed. "Always gettin' at the pretty girls, eh Hugh?" Hugh laughed, and swung his arm round me. "Neh, we just met last year, when I went to Ireland." Bronwyns eyes widened. "I heard the last village who still were old fashioned was destroyed a few weeks ago." I nodded and tears drifted slowly down my cheeks. This time, people could see. Bronwyn gasped and put her arm round me. "You poor thing! Did you live there?" I nodded. "How sad!"

"I'll thank you to stop chitter-chattering, you lot, for, as you can see, all the others are already in the hall," hissed a male teacher by the door. I shuddered and followed Bronwyn and Hugh inside.

All the students were in little groups of five. There was also a two. Bronwyn and Hugh joined them. I hung back. There was a female teacher at behind a computer who beckoned me over. I wandered over. "Are you Fiona Frauenfeld?" She asked politely. I nodded. "Well, I know you've had a few... issues." I nodded. "Well, we'll help you all we can." The she pointed over to Hugh's and Bronwyns group. They were beckoning me over. "Why don't you join them?" She suggested I nodded and wandered over.