Our Othersides: Chapter 6

Sapphire:

I walked towards the middle of the practice and wrestling mats as the Avengers stood up against the wall. “Is this room secure?” I directed towards Director Fury. He sighed and nodded. I started to feel ridicules standing in the middle of the rrom with everyone staring. Can’t turn back now.

“Well, as for your questions before,” I stopped speaking, “I would like to answer most of them through thought.” I watched their reactions. Director Fury frowned, Steve looked confused, Tony rubbed his eyes and hit the side of his head as if he had water in his ears. Bruce smiled and nodded encouragingly, Thor looked amused, and Agent Romanov didn’t register any emotion. I watched Agent Barton, though, flinch and grimace. Romanov gave him a sympathetic look and put her hand on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry, I should have explained that before,” I said out loud. “Um, the skills that I have pertain to what I am and what I can become. You see, I-I’m not fully human. It, it would be easier to tell you as I show you.” I thought for a minute as I listened to the heartbeats around me.

“Agent Barton?” I asked through thoughts. He flinched again but pulled off his bow and arrows before walking over to me. He didn’t look at all thrilled but took up a fighting stance and blocked his thoughts. Impressive to do so quickly. I glanced over at Agent Romanov to see a wary look cross her face and her bite her lip.

I focused back on Clint in front of me and took up a fighting stance. We watched each other as we circled; I took in his stern face, short, blond buzz cut, and his strong arms. He made the first move; a side snap kick with his foot towards my hip. I dodged easily but he went to throw a right hook as I repositioned. I dodged the full hit but he cuffed my shoulder. He jumped back and grimaced slightly, shaking his hand.

Crap, I forgot that I would have to move with his hits so he wouldn’t hurt himself on my rock hard skin. We started circling again and exchanged a few more punches and cuffs. We matched each other’s skill but didn’t push to defeat the other.

“You’re holding back,” Agent Barton’s rough voice filled my mind. My face gave away my surprise. I didn’t think that he would use the mind connection with the response he gave earlier. “I don’t want to hurt you,” I answered sincerely. He started moving faster and faster, pushing me to keep up. I sped up easily.

I let him knock me to the ground twice but I rolled back up and attacked harder than he had. I landed more hits than he did and swept my leg under his while he stumbled from a previous dodge. He landed on his back with a grunt and lay there breathing heavily. I could hear his heart racing. My breathing was completely normal and I, of course, didn’t have a heartbeat. I pulled myself up and walked over to him.

“You okay?” I asked, offering a hand up. He grabbed it but didn’t say anything. Next thing I knew, I was on my stomach. He had twisted and flipped me, effectively pinning me under him. I let out a growl but my eyes sparkled. He seemed surprised that the air wasn’t knocked out of me. Using his surprise, I kicked his leg while grabbing his arms and flipped him over my head. He hit the mat with another grunt and I pinned him with my arm. He hesitated but kicked me in the stomach, sending me flying into the air. I rolled with the kick and landed on my feet facing him. Might as well get this over with.

I raced at him with all of my speed, plowing into him with my shoulder, and knocked him a few yards back. I walked over to him slowly and immediately felt regret. He was gasping on his back, hugging his side. I probably broke a few of his ribs,

I lowered into a crouch near him but was knocked back as pain erupted in my chest. I looked up and saw Agent Romanov with a gun trained on me. I numbly fingered the hole in my shirt; I was shot.