Our Othersides: Chapter 5

Sapphire:

I gasped and sputtered as I flew up into a sitting position and my thoughts screamed “dry” as the first water drops made contact. Water repelled so fast that it flew off of me. I blinked several times and saw Bruce standing in front of me, soaking wet.

“Welcome back to the living,” he said with a grin as he started to wipe his glasses calmly with his already wet shirt. I looked past him to see Tony Stark soaking wet as well, just behind him. Thor was at the end of the bed, his hair dripping, and Steve Rogers, Agent Barton, and Agent Romanov peering over the edge of Captain Rogers’ shield. They all looked shocked and surprised.

I looked down at myself and saw that I was, as expected, completely dry and other than a few scorch marks and rips on my jeans and shirt, I was fine. I caught a reflection of my face in the metal of the bed and saw that my eyes were still glowing green. I let out a curse in Greek.

I looked up as Director Fury stepped out from behind Thor, dry, and he cleared his throat. That seemed to break everyone from their daze. Steve lowered his shield, relaxing a bit and Tony started to mumble about his designer band shirt as Fury started to speak.

“Sapphire, would you like to explain to me and my team how you are alive and how you just soaked everyone with the water Dr. Banner so thoughtfully dumped on you?” I took it that I didn’t have a choice, but to answer.

I caught Bruce looking down at his feet and his cheeks turning pink. “Thank you,” I thought gently to him. He looked up and turned even redder. I turned back to Fury.

“Director Fury, I am so sorry, I never meant for this to happen. It, it would be easier to show you what I can do than to tell you.” I looked down and if I could blush more than a light pink, I would have. “Do you happen to have a gym on the helicarrier?” I cocked my head to the side. Fury let out a slow breath, forced. It seemed that he didn’t get the answer that he wanted.

“Fine,” he ground out before he walked towards the door, “but you better have a very good explanation for all of this.”

All of the other Avengers started to file out and I walked out, followed by Bruce and Tony. This was definitely not how I had planned on showing the agents, let alone the Avengers, who I was.