Chapter 12 ~ Past shapes future

3rd Person POV.

~December 24, 1984~

The shot rang out before the child's cry did. Major Rick Houston fell to the ground, his wife already there. He held his son's hand close to his heart. "d-daddy?" Marcus Houston clung his father's dress shirt. Watching his father and mother bleed out in front of him. 

"Protect your sister....Marcus..." His father choked out. Marcus nodded. But how could he leave his father and mother here to die? His little sister didn't need him! He needed his father and mother. "D-daddy....please..." The five-year-old clung to the thin fabric as if it was his last life line. Was this his Christmas present? His father's crimson blood staining the pure white snow all around him. Like red paint on white canvas.

"Be strong for me ok, Marcus? Can you be strong for me?" The boy nodded. He could. He had to. "Good lad..." His father's last breath marked the start of a never-ending search for revenge. Marcus had seen the face of the man who'd shot his father. 

His face held no mercy. It was...admirable. The man's motive was clean and quick. His eyes held not motivation, determination, and hatred. But why hadn't he killed Marcus? Surely he knew that killing Marcus would stop the bloodline. But he hadn't turned the gun on him. Was it, in a way, a glitch? Had the man, perhaps saw killing children....as a hesitation?

~April 7, 2001~

"Pull the trigger!" "Marcus, I-I don't want to...." "Pull the trigger, Lisa! Now!" "M-Marcus, I-I can't!" Marcus Houston grabbed his sister's hand and wrapped his finger over hers around the trigger. "Like this." His hot breath melted Lisa Houston's soul. His words were cold.  

BANG

The body of the innocent man slid to the floor in front of the two siblings. "It's not that bad, Lisa." Marcus smirked at the corpse before pulling the trigger three more times. "Stop Marcus!" Lisa pulled at the 22-year old's arm. "You're weak, little sister! Father would be disappointed!" 

Lisa's eyes filled with tears. "No....not in me. He was an honourable man, Marcus.....he fought for what was right! He would not be pleased with the.....monster you've become....." Marcus dropped the gun. The words he had used to describe the bastard who'd killed their parents. She dared compare him to that fiend?! 

"That's what you are Marcus....." She backed out slowly to the street, her eyes filled with fear of her big brother. Like a mouse under a hawk's keen eye. "A monster." 

With those last words, Lisa Houston ran. For her life far away from New Jersey. And her monstrous brother.

Hope you enjoyed Chapter 12!! And let me know if you are liking these type of chapters! We are becoming closer and closer....more and more action!