Chapter 2- The Verdict

Chapter 2: The Verdict

After a week on antibiotics it is clear to everyone that my legs are not going to get any better. Dr. Burnstead comes into the room one day when Dad and my grandparents are visiting.

“So here’s the thing,” she starts. “If we keep going with the antibiotics, things may improve, but if we give it time and things don’t improve, there’s the potential for something to go very wrong. The survival rate with this severity of infection is next to nothing, so I think we’re down to one option at this point.”

I know what’s coming.

“What’s the option, Doc?” Dad asks, seemingly unaware of the severity of the situation at hand.

“Amputation,” she says straightforwardly and professionally.

I don’t really know how to react. I don’t know if I should be happy to get an answer or to be angry that my life is about to change forever.. I wanted to be on the swim team at school, I wanted to snowboard in the Olympics. I wanted to have a normal life. I turn to look at Dad, who has sat in the chair beside the bed. He is cradling his head in his hands.

“Your mother would be furious right now,” Dad explains.

I see Dr. Burnstead’s confused look.

“She died in a car accident when I was three. Matthew, my brother, was only a few months old,” I explain.

Dr. Burnstead’s expression changed. Her face drains of colour.

“I’m so sorry,” she says, stroking her hair..

“So what do we do from here?” Dad asks.

“I need your permission to proceed with the surgery.” Dr. Burnstead explains.

“Well what if I don’t want this done to my child?”

“Mr. Gilbert, this is very serious. Without the surgery, there is a very high chance she will not survive. In fact I’m almost certain of it.”

“Dad just let her do it,” I say.

Dad looks at me blankly. A tear rolls down his face. “I’m going to call my mother to come in,” Dad says.

He leaves the room while he waits. Dr. Burnstead says she needs to go tend to another patient, leaving me alone. I don’t really know how to feel about the situation. I’m not even really upset.

25 minutes later, Grandma is standing at the door. Dr. Burnstead and Dad have returned.

“Hello Mrs. Gilbert,” Dr. Burnstead says.

“I hear we’ve had an accident, Melissa,” she says, moving closer to my bed.

“Yeah, I got run over by the bus a little over a week ago,” I explain, unable to recall the exact date.

“Oh dear,” she replies.

My grandma has never been one to overreact to bad situations, but by the expression on her weathered face, I can tell she is uneasy, and she has every right to be.

“They want to amputate,” Dad interjects.

“Well whose decision is it ultimately?” Grandma asks.

“It is the responsibility of the guardian due to the severity and seriousness of the injury, however I’m not sure Mr. Gilbert fully understands the severity of Melissa’s injuries,” Dr. Burnstead tells her.

“OK, well Keith you know she’s in good hands. They know what they’re doing here,” Grandma reassures Dad, but he still doesn’t seem so convinced.

“Dad if it makes you feel any better, I think it would be the best thing for me. As much as I don’t want to do it, I know it’s the right thing. You don’t want me to live with pain for the rest of my life right?” I say. “However long that may be,” I add, partially for emphasis but partially because nobody knows what may happen if they don’t go ahead with the amputation.

Dad nods. “OK, go ahead,” he says quietly, looking away.

“Normally we would schedule surgery for a few days out, but in this case, I think we need to go and do the surgery tonight.” Dr. Burnstead admits.

He disappears for a few minutes before returning with a stack of paperwork for Dad to fill out. Another doctor comes in to show Dad and Grandma to a patient waiting room. Dr. Burnstead takes me into surgery right away. I remember her putting a mask on me and then things went blurry.