Chapter 7: Settling In

By now, Matthew and I have been in care for almost a week. We’re in foster care together. We’re living with a couple that fosters kids with disabilities all the time. There are three other girls in the home.

Matthew says he doesn’t mind being the only boy. I just hope Gina, our foster mother, can show Matthew what it is like to have a mother in your life. I was only 3 when Mom died, but I still remember certain things about her. Matthew was a baby so he doesn’t remember anything. Gina and Bryan McDavidson are doing everything they can to make our lives better.

The adoption agency gave Gina and Bryan a list of rules when they first became foster parents, and they have it proudly displayed on their fridge.

One of the other girls, Kaya, is also in a wheelchair as a double amputee. She used to use prosthetics, but she kept getting nasty infections. I’m the oldest, so I hope I can show the other kids some things. One of the other girls, Alia, seems to take to me very quickly.

Gina and Bryan get all their fosters involved in the community in one way or another, and for Matthew and I, it’s volunteering at the food bank. We sort the bags that come in from private donations and box similar items together. Then when people come to collect food, we help them find what they are looking for.

One day when I am volunteering on my own, a couple comes in.

“We’ve run out of Adam’s food again,” the man explains.

Their son Adam is 26, but he lives at home because he has severe cerebral palsy. He is unable to walk or speak, and has very limited vision. He can only digest finely blended foods, which is why his family purchases baby food. They are still trying to get more financial aid, which the government stopped paying for when Adam turned 18.  We see a lot of families coming here with children with disabilities unable to support their needs with today’s average food prices.

A few weeks go by and I realize that Adam and his family haven’t been in for food. I decide to question my manager, Arnold Higgins, to see if he knows anything. I’ve been told that he knows everything about everyone in the town.

“Well, as a matter of fact, a lady was in here on your day off last week and I brought it up. She said Adam wasn’t doing well and I think he’s back in the hospital. Pretty sure they’ll keep him for good this time, the poor guy.” Arnold sighs.

That gets me thinking. I want to do some sort of fundraiser to show support for all of the amazing organizations dedicated to helping the people in our community with disabilities. I want to make sure everyone can participate. I’ll call Samara and see what she says. I haven’t talked to her in such a long time. It would be great to catch up. I spend the next few weeks organizing a fundraiser. It takes a while, but I have decided that I am going to organize a fun fair. I’ll have face painting, bean bag toss, ring toss, duck pond, sucker pull, hammer slam, pony rides, dart balloon popping, wheelchair accessible mirror house, and tons of food vendors. I decide the proceeds from this will go to the CPF (Cerebral Palsy Foundation).

The day before the event is supposed to happen, something terrible happens. A huge storm rips through the city. Hundreds of people are forced out of their homes. I’m now living in a shelter with Matthew and my foster siblings. We watch the news as shingles are flying across the road all over the city. If you had told me a few months ago if I would be in this situation, I would have probably said you were crazy. Luckily for all of us, the police and disaster teams have the debris cleaned up within two weeks and we are allowed to return home.