Chapter 5

Cheran's POV

It's been a few days since my weekend visit to Coimbatore. I have been trying to work very hard for the past few days so that I can return to Tamil Nadu soon. Today, I had a photoshoot with Jennifer, one of India's top models for a retail brand. She is very easy to work with. She romances with the camera like nobody else. She came out from the dressing room wearing Palazzo pants and short tops. And then a series of skirts, tops, jeans etc.

When I was done with my work, she said, "CK, I heard you are leaving Mumbai. What happened?"

"I got committed. My woman is in Chennai, so I am shifting there."

"But why? Can't she shift here?"

"No, she is an interior designer running her own business."

"CK, people build houses in Mumbai as well. She can be an interior designer here. You have a very successful career here, don't leave it."

"Jennifer, Tamil Nadu is my home. I always wanted to return home. Now my Isai is the reason to return."

"You are really enamored. Show me her picture."

When I showed her the picture which Ennisai had sent me few days back, she said, "She looks beautiful. Does she belong to your caste? Did your family accept?"

"I have no idea about her caste. She knows that my parents had an intercaste marriage. She said that she doesn't care about her own caste or anybody's caste."

"She is a gem CK. I think you can go to North Pole for her."

I laughed, "Yeah, I would."

After chatting with her for few minutes, I left for my apartment. Just when I entered my apartment my neighbor brought in a package for me. He was a very polite Maharashtrian Uncle. The package was from an online shopping portal. I didn't order anything, but the package had my name and address on it. After thanking that Uncle, I went to my apartment. When I opened the package, it had a T-shirt with a camera printed on front. It also had some wordings, 'It's not the camera but the photographer who matters'. I laughed at it. I checked the bill again to find a message from Ennisai. 'Dearest Cheran, I was browsing through fb when I found this T-shirt online. It reminded me of you. Hope you like it.'

I loved it. More than the T-shirt, I loved the way she called me Dearest. I loved it because she thought about me while browsing. I don't remember giving her my address or my size. Wonder how she found both.

Just then a fb notification popped in my mobile. It was my Amma's post. Before I could read it and give my comment, Ennisai bet me to it. I realized that I haven't seen her fb profile yet. So I sent her a request which she immediately accepted. I was shocked to see that she had only twenty friends. Two of them were her best friends Megha and Razia and one of them was her cousin Mullai, everyone else were popular writers. The last time she wrote on her timeline was three months back. Only thing she has recently changed was her relationship status. That reminded me to change mine. I changed my status from 'Single' to 'In a relationship' with 'Isai'. After changing that I again went to her profile to check her pictures. But she had no album. I checked her previous posts. It was just some or the other news articles. There was not even one selfie. I knew that she had this feeling that she doesn't have a photogenic face, but not even one picture in fb???? I am sure Zuckerberg would cry by looking at her profile.

After dinner, I quickly switched on my laptop. We have set up a routine. Normally she calls me in the morning because she wakes up first. Post lunch either of us call each other on Skype. After dinner I call her. In between when either of us is free we send some messages in WhatsApp. Our morning and afternoon chat sessions are pretty much short, it is only in the night we get to talk for a long time. Normally the problem with long distance relationship is not to know what's happening in your significant other's life. But Ennisai keeps me updated about each and every single thing happening in her life. Right from her new project to the funny things she does with her sister. Sometimes she updates me about the books she reads, music she is listening to and what she had for her dinner making me yearn for home cooked meal. She tells me that sometimes she also practices Kongu recipes like my favorite Kaalan thirattal (Mushroom stir fried with groundnut masala), pachapuli rasam (Similar to soup which can be had with rice as well. This rasam is made with tamarind water and onion, unique to Kongu cuisine) and kadhamba saatham (a type of mixed rice)