Chapter 14

Isai's POV

When we went out of our room, the smell of good food hit my nostrils. Athai asked us to have breakfast first, but I offered to serve first. Everybody in their family sat. I also made Athai sit, even though she insisted on having food later. When I first placed Banana leaf (It is used like a plate, it is more hygienic, eco friendly and good for health) in front of everybody, I was surprised to see that he followed me by placing a glass of water for everybody. I then served Idli, Pongal, Mint Chutney and Vada. He served Paal Kuzhambu (A gravy made with coconut milk), Coconut Chutney, Tomato chutney and for dessert I served Ilanner Payasam (Tender Coconut based dessert).

When we were asked to sit in the next round my stomach became full just by having a little of everything. When Athai was about to serve me a second serving of Pongal, I resisted it saying that I was too full. All the aunties were looking at the way I was eating and started speaking things like, "She is eating very little. That is why she is so thin." From the corner of my eyes, I could see my Amma being embarrassed. Thankfully, he started talking something with his Amma about some relatives and everybody got distracted from me. He never talks while eating. I knew he did that only to save me from the embarrassment. I finished eating quickly to escape attention.

As soon as we finished, guests started coming in. Athai asked me to change to a Silk Saree. When I changed, he too changed to a Silk Shirt and Veshti. I was introduced to Athai's friends, Maama's friends and his friends and their family. Sometimes when I am away from him, he would be constantly looking at me, to make sure I am fine. Occasionally when somebody talks for a long time with me, he used to come and stand next to me asking the guest, "Are you troubling my new wife a lot?"

Most people still remember him as the prankster he used to be in his school days. They were very much affectionate towards him. I was surprised by the humble nature of men. Most men even though they were quite rich wore only a simple veshti and shirt. They didn't try to flaunt their education, wealth or successful business. They were comfortably speaking in their Kongu dialect, a total contrast to Chennaiites because in Chennai, anybody who likes to show himself as a successful person would constantly mix English words in his conversation or brag about their recent promotion, salary hike, high end apartment and the latest status symbol - expensive school of their kids etc.

But with women it was a different story. Most women wore expensive silk sarees and heavy jewels. One of Athai's friend asked me, "To which caste do you belong to?"

"Sorry Aunty. We have decided that caste should play no role in our lives. So we neither asked nor told each other about our castes."

"But, you can tell me Chellam (dear). I will keep it as a secret."

"Aaa...."

Just then he came in, "What is the secret you were talking with Aunty?"

"Aunty naan enna saathi nu kettanga Maama (Aunty asked me about my caste Maama)."

"That's a secret which even I don't know Aunty. Uncle was searching for you. He is over there."

That Aunty gave an uncomfortable laugh and left us. He then took me towards his friends. All of them had come with their families. Many of them had two kids. One of his friend asked, "Were your parents opposing your love, is that why it took you so long to get married?"

He chuckled, "I met her only two months back in a flight. Our families were okay with each other from the beginning."

"How can you fall in love and then marry within two months Cheraa?"