Chapter 10

Isai's POV

Yesterday's encounter with that Chitappa disturbed my sleep last night. I wanted to call him and let out my frustration. But, I also knew that Cheran would be upset if I did that. I also didn't want to hide anything from him. Right from the beginning of our relationship we were clear that, we should never lie or hide anything from each other. Sharing it with Amma is also a bad idea because after a long time, Amma is happy. I didn't want to spoil her mood. Someday I will get a chance again to give back to that Chitappa. With that thought, I pushed everything to the back of my mind and started to get ready.

Today is the day when Cheran's family would come to meet us. My Amma was very anxious as well as happy. Saaru and Mullai Akka, my cousin sister were excited. My Aaya (grandmother in Madras Bashai) who is actually my Amma's Thottha (Mother's sister in Madras Bashai) was running around the house like a small girl. I got ready wearing a reddish maroon colour saree. Akka adorned my hair with jasmine flowers. She said, "You look beautiful Isai."

"Thanks Akka."

"Are you tensed???"

"A little."

She laughed at me. Just then I got a call from Cheran. When I picked up the call asking, "Have you started ma?", he replied, "We have started. We will reach your place in another five minutes Kannu."

"Chari ma (Okay ma)."

When he disconnected the call, I turned towards Akka and said, "They have started Ka. They will reach here in another five minutes."

She went to inform the same to my Amma. My Amma then came to my room, and gave me a final check. After scrutinising me from head to toe she was happy. When the car came in front of our home, she invited everybody right from the door. When everybody settled, Saaru served them water and introductions were made. I was given a plate full of coffee cups to serve everybody. Even though I have done this a lot of times to few prospective bridegrooms, today I was tensed. I first served coffee to Athai saying, "Vaanga Athai, sowkiyama (Welcome Athai, how are you)?"

"Naanga sowkiyam Kannu. Neenga sowkiyama?? (We are fine. How about you?)"

"Sowkiyam Athai (Fine Aunty)".

I then served coffee to Maama, his brother, his sister in law, Sarvesh Anna, Maaya and Sarvesh Anna's parents giving similar greetings. Cheran was visibly happy. He was wearing a Blue Color Shirt with Veshti. Tamil men look in their element when they wear Veshti. He was looking really handsome. When I was serving coffee to him, he brushed my toe with his toe. Since I was wearing saree and everyone was deeply involved in some conversation, nobody noticed it. I smiled and moved away from him.

When I was about to leave the room, my Athai said, "Please sit here ma."

I then sat in the room and strangely I felt comfortable. Maama said, "I heard you are running your own business. Congratulations ma. In this age and time to run your own business is an achievement."

"Thanks Maama."

"For a long time, I wanted to build a library inside my home, can you suggest me some models?"

"Sure Maama. If you give me the dimensions of the room, I will send you few samples. You can also come and check our library. Please come Maama."

I then took everybody to our library. When I opened the door to the library, I started speaking my mind, "My Appa used to love books. He didn't save much money. But he saved books, books and more books. Right from our childhood for every birthday his first gift would be a book. He inculcated the reading habit in both of us. These five shelves are filled with his books. Appa's books are classified with Colon classification system (A classification system designed by S.R.Ranganathan, Father of Library Science in India). Every now and then Tamil research scholars visit our library and borrow some books. That shelf is filled with Amma's collection of books. That shelf is Saaru's and the last two are my collection of books."