Chapter 19

Isai's POV

In the weekend we visited Coimbatore. By the time we returned after visiting his Athai's family, Amala Ka had come with her husband to our in law's place. It was evening snacks time. Athai was preparing sweet Kozhukattai (Similar to dumplings stuffed with coconut/pulses and jaggery) for us. I don't understand why but Athai is always busy in the kitchen or doing some other household work. When I asked her, how does she find time to write in between all her work, she said, she writes when my Father in law is out of town or when he is sleeping. 

It reminded me of how writer Salma started writing. It seems earlier she used to write in her bathroom. Yes, in bathroom because her husband's family was against her writing and publishing. And Salma, is her pen name. These days thanks to a little bit of broadmindedness of men caused by feminist movements, women are never stopped from pursuing their goals, but they aren't encouraged either. Women are expected to be superwomen to do office work, household work, children's homework etc..... and then find time to achieve their goals. To find a personal space in between all these things, to find those lost skills which women showcased in their girl days, to find a little bit of happiness for her ownself without being branded selfish seems like a huge achievement. Not one, not two, there are thousands of dreams which get crushed under the name of marital harmony, children's happiness etc. If dreams could form a shape, a woman's dream would always end up in the shape of a teardrop.

I can't help thousands of women grinding under the burden of their own crosses, I thought of helping at least one, my Athai, who expresses so nicely in her words, who found her voice within this male chauvinistic household. I asked her "Athai, did you check your facebook account? Writer Vennila has posted a nice article in her page."

"Really??? I will have to check later Thangam. I am busy now."

"We can also make Kozhukattai Athai. Akka and I will make it. You must go and read that article Athai."

"Your Maama (Means Father in law) must already be hungry now. I need to prepare it quickly ma."

"Athai, we can also prepare it. Once if I let Maama eat food prepared by me, he will definitely start appreciating your food."

Athai laughed but was reluctant to leave the kitchen room. So I brought her mobile phone and asked her to check her facebook account from her mobile. She was hesitant at first, but gradually sat near the Ammi (a type of grinding stone) and started reading from her mobile.

My Father in law was reading the evening edition of the newspaper in the hall. He had asked my husband dear to assist him in arranging some of his articles. So he was helping him with it. My Brother in law also tried to help him.

When I was keeping the 'Kozhukattais' in the steamer, Akka said, "Isai, your saree looks beautiful."

"Thanks Ka. This saree was a surprise gift from him, for his birthday. This blue is my favorite colour. Between, your saree is also looking good Ka."

"Thank you. He gifted me this saree, for my first birthday after our engagement. Sinthamani (Turquoise blue) is my favorite colour."

It seems Athai had finished reading that post, she joined us saying, "Don't even ask me the number of shops he visited to buy you that saree. He knew your favorite color. So he went down hunting for the best saree throughout Coimbatore."

Akka blushed and I laughed. "What is your favorite colour Athai?"

Athai looked startled for a second and replied, "I like 'Maanthulir niram' (Maanthulir refers to tender Mango leaf, it means the green mixed with a little bit of red shade)."

"I have never seen you wearing that color Athai. I have mostly seen you in shades of pink colour."

Athai gave an uncomfortable smile and said, "That's because pink is your Maama's (Father in law's) favorite colour. For every festival he buys me a pink colour saree. My wardrobe is filled with pink colour sarees. Occasionally I do wear some other colour but he would be quick to point out that it doesn't look good on me."