Chapter Five || I Needed That Car

I skateboard home. It's late by the time I get back, but I'm almost in time for dinner.

Walking up to the driveway, I see the family car wrecked and destroyed.

  Damnit.

  I shake my head, outraged. Why did this have to happen at such a badtime?

  "Perfect,"I muttered angrily. "Just perfect."

  I take a long, slow look at the car and head inside. When I enter, I hear Biff yelling at my dad. Of course.

  "I can't believe you'd loan me your car without telling me it had a blind spot. I could have been killed!" Biff angrily storms.

  "Now, now Biff-" My father reasons, stuttering nervously. "I've never noticed that the car had any blind spot before when I would drive it." He looks at me. "Hi son," He mumbles.

  I almost wince in embarrassment. My dad, well, to put it nicely- he's a big wimp, especially of Biff. Did it ever occur to him once to say no?

  "Well,what are you? Blind, McFly? It's there! How else would you explain that wreck out there?" Biff yaps on.

  "Now, uh, Biff, can I uhm, can I assume that your, uh, insurance is going to pay for the damage?" My father questions.

  "My insurance? It's your car! Your insurance should pay for it. I wanna know who's going to pay for this." Biff motions to his suit. "Who's going to pay for my cleaning bill?"
  At this, I scoff. Biff could fool anyone. "And, uh, where's my reports?" He demands, changing the subject quickly.

  "Well ,uh, I figured since they weren't due until.." My dad trails off nervously and laughs weakly. Biff knocks on his head.

  "Hello? Hello? Anybody home? Think McFly, think! I gotta have time to get them retyped! Do you realize what would happen if I hand in my reports in your handwriting? I'll get fired! You wouldn't want that to happen, would you?" Biff asks.

  My father bits his lip, not sure on how to answer.

  "WOULD YA?" Biff yells, grabbing my dads shirt.

  "No, of course not, Biff, I wouldn't want that to happen." My father reassures him, lying through his teeth. "Now look, I'll finish those reports tonight and run them on over first thing tomorrow morning."

  "Not too early, I sleep in Saturdays. Hey McFly, your shoes untied!"Biff laughs, bonking my father on the nose. My dad laughs with him."Don't be so gullible, McFly! Got the place fixed up nice." He says, walking on over to the fridge and laughs. "Got your car towed all the way to your house and all you got for me is light beer?"

  Biff walks over to me. "What are you looking at, butthead?" He demands.

Since I'm so nervous around Biff, I only can give a small shrug.

"Say hi to your mom for me."

  I stare after Biff as he left. My dad walks up to me. "I know what you're going to say son." He begins. "And you're right.. you're right. But, uhm, Biff just happens to be my supervisor, and I'm afraid I'm just not very good at... confrontations."

"But the car, dad!" I protest, frustrated. "I mean, he wrecked it! He totaled it." I sigh. "I needed that car tomorrow night, dad. Do you any idea how important this was to me? Do you have any clue?" I question.

My dad takes a deep breath. "I know, and all I can say is.. I'm sorry."