Chapter Four || Save the Clock Tower!

"Too loud! I can't believe it!" I groan. We got rejected because we were loud! Aren't rock bands supposed to be loud? "We'll never get the chance to play in front of anybody!"

  "Marty, one rejection isn't the end of the world." Jennifer reminds me.

  "I mean, I just don't think I'm cut out for music," I rant on,ignoring her.

  "But you're good, Marty! You're really good, and this audition tape ofyours is great!" Jennifer protests, slapping the tape against my stomach. "You gotta send it into the record company! It's like the Doc's always saying-"

  "I know, I know," I interrupt her and look at some girls passing by."If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."

  Jennifer turns my head so I'm directly facing her. "That's good advice, Marty." She says, smiling in a flirty way.

  "Alright, Jennifer, okay," I protest, still not really listening to her. "What if I send in the tape and they don't like it? What if they say I'm no good? What if they say, 'get out of here kid, you got no future'? I mean, I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection. Jesus, I'm starting to sound like my old man!"

  "He's not that bad," Jennifer says, leaning over to tie her shoe as a lady yells out 'Save the clock tower!'. "At least he's letting you borrow the car for tomorrow night."

  A sweet looking 4x4 passes by. "Okay, back her up," I hear someone say as I get a better view. "Check out that 4x4," I marvel. "That is hot. Someday Jennifer, someday," I take her hand. "Wouldn't itbe great to take that truck up to the lake? Throw a couple sleeping bags in the back? Lie out underneath the stars?"

  "Stopit," Jennifer giggles, pushing my hand away.

  "What?"I ask, chuckling at her.

  "Does your mom know?" She asks suddenly, in a more serious tone. "About tomorrow night?"

  I dismiss the topic. "Nah, get outta town. My mom thinks I'm going camping with the guys."

  Jennifer looks at me and sighs. "Well, Jennifer, my mother would freak if she knew I was going with you. I'd get the standard lecture about howshe never did that kind of stuff when she was a kid. I mean, look! I think the woman was born a nun." I exclaim.

  "She's just trying to keep you respectable," Jennifer replies, grabbing mychin in a playful matter.

  "Well, she's not doing a very good job," I remark, flirting with her.

  "Terrible,"Jennifer mumbles, leaning in to kiss me. The romantic mood quickly dissipates.

  "Save the clock tower!" A middle-aged women announces before us. "Save the clock tower!" She repeats, waving a donation box in front of my face.
"Mayor Wilson is sponsoring an initiative to replace that clock!" Me andJennifer slowly look back at the tower as the woman continues on. "Thirty years ago, lightning struck that clock tower and the clock hasn't run since! We at the Hill Valley Preservation Society think it should be preserved exactly the way it is, as part of our history and heritage!"

  I nod at her, wanting her to go away, but not wanting to be rude. Smiling, I pull a quarter out of my  pocket. "There you go, lady, here's a quarter," I tell her, putting my coin in the donation box.

  She smiles at me warmly. "Thank you. Don't forget to take a flyer! Save the clock tower!" The lady goes off into the distance and I turn back to Jennifer.

  "Where were we?" I ask her.

  "Right about here," She replies, leaning back into me.

  A car honks at us. "Jennifer!" A man yells. She looks up but I peck her quickly on her neck.

  Jennifer glances at the car and sighs. "It's my dad."

  "Right," I say, disappointed I couldn't spend more time with her.

She runs over to her dad's car. "I'll call you tonight!" I yell after her.

  "I'll be at my grandma's. Here, let me give you the number." She replies, running back to me and writing down the number. I look off into the distance, thinking about her.

  "Bye," She says, kissing me quickly and sprinting off. I look down at what she wrote and watch her leave. The power of love.

  Wow.