Episode 5: Grown Up

Within an hour, we had arrived at a small island, which I assumed was the safe place where plans against the Antipode were conversed. I climbed out of the submarine into the afternoon sunlight hitting my face, illuminating a forest in front of me. Quickly, our small party of no less than ten people was hurrying to the entrance of a small village, which surrounded a huge fire pit.

     People occupied every place I looked. The atmosphere was completely different than the one in the city. It was open, joyous. Voices filled the air with discussion, nobody seemed to feel threatened. Many turned to see us, some flocked to our little group, gawking at Eden and Seth particularly.

     "I should know what this, who they are," Seth mumbled, looking at the people. I squeezed his hand, overwhelmed by everything I was presented with.

     I began to understand that the camp wasn't only a place to fight Cassius, it was for refugees. It was meant to be secure.

     The people ranged from adults to young kids. I wondered how they all got there as I searched the faces for someone familiar with no luck. We were urged to enter a rectangular building, where the door was shut to an open room full of quieter people.

     As soon as we made an appearance, everything was stopped instantly.

     I sensed Seth's nerves, and I knew he felt my panic. He slipped his arm around my waist, holding me to his side gently as a comfort.

     The group was a mix of men and women, young and old. My eyes looked for recognition. I felt incredible small-- panicked even; where were Adria and Jonathan?

     I suddenly hoped that this was a genuine protection, that I could trust these people. Lincoln caught my attention from the other side of the room, his expression not only relieved, but incredibly emotional. I sighed.

     My siblings had to be safe. However, they weren't in sight.

     Our groups began to mix in chatter. Everyone seemed to have a job to do, hunched over tables, papers, or screens filled with data.

     Instead of going back to his work, Lincoln began weaving through the people, his eyes looking over me, not even on his brother. Missy brushed past me, going toward him.

     He swept her up in his arms, holding her tightly to his chest, talking into her ear, smiling with overwhelming solace in his expression. He pulled back and kissed her passionately.

     "They're back," Eden remarked from beside me. He turned to Seth, who bit his lip as he scanned the room with an uneasy glance. "I wish you remembered this," Eden said to him, almost sorrowfully.

     The statement made Seth's eyes go wide and his hand go to his forehead, fully realizing that he was supposed to understand what was going on. He became pale, and stared at me, lips trembling. I hugged him tightly, hoping I was helping him.

     I didn't want the city to change Seth. His innocence had caused me to fall in love with him. How could they break someone who was so necessary to another's existence?

     I ran my fingers through his hair, feeling his trembling frame leaning on my shoulder. In that moment, I decided I didn't care. If he was hurt, I would care for him. I wouldn't abandon him. He hadn't left me purposefully. It wasn't his fault; I couldn't blame him for the world's demise.

     "It's okay, I'm here, Seth," I whispered, pressing my cheek against his hair.

     "Rowin."

     I looked over to see Lincoln grinning at me. Seth stood up straight again, encircling my fingers with his. I could feel his hand shaking and his stare focused on me.