Episode 7: Insanity's Burden

Our frantic state quickly diminished into silence.

I didn't know what to say, and neither did Seth or Adria. I was afraid to confront my thoughts on what had happened. I slipped in and out of sleep, but the short rests didn't help. The distorted memories only replayed, making the situation worse.

Seth never left my side. When I'd wake up terrified and in a cold sweat, he would be there. His arms protected me as I leaned on his strong frame.

Lincoln was in and out. He informed us that Eden was in a shock from the electric pulse and mental damage the Antipode had caused. This only made me more anxious about what we were getting into, yet I didn't voice that concern.

"This camp is safe," Adria finally said.

It had been hours since Lincoln had come in to give an update. Only Seth, Adria, and I remained in the hospital room. I was happy for the distraction her story provided; it was now evening.

"After we went through the vents, Lincoln found a way to the basement, where we hid. Eventually, the guards left and we escaped into the streets. We used drains to get out of the city. He managed to steal a boat to find his way to this island."

"I'm glad you're safe," I replied, catching her eye.

She smiled weakly.

The door to our room opened softly, welcoming Lincoln. Missy was no longer with him. I felt Seth tense beside me, his hand squeezing my arm nervously.

"How are you?" Lincoln asked me, focusing his attention on my bandaged hand. It was burned from the Antipode's contact, even though I had only touched it for a split second. "I think it's best if you stay here for the night, just to recover from the initial shock."

I nodded, hands beginning to shake from the underlying terror I couldn't appease.

He grinned comfortingly, refusing to make eye-contact with Seth. Suddenly, I remembered Jonathan. Did he go through something similar? Were there different forms of this torture?

I sat up at the thought, ignoring the immediate lightheadedness.

"Can I see Jonathan?" I asked, directing the question at Adria.

Worry released from her face slightly and she nodded.

"He's probably anxious to see you. I told him to stay where he was because..." Her voice trailed off, but she quickly recovered from her own anxieties.

"I can go to him," I stated, despite the dizziness I felt when I stood. Seth steadied me, grabbing my elbow. I ignored Lincoln's protests and my weakness, determined to see Jonathan. Last time I had seen him, his condition had been worse than mine.

When Adria was convinced I was stable, we hurried out of the medical facility.

No one glanced our way as we walked past the fires, then weaved through a community of small huts. Right in the middle, sheltered by trees, we entered a small, wooden building. It was like the storage shed that we had back at my house in the other reality.

As I began to think of home, I wondered with a pang of fear if my parents were still breathing.

"Jonathan, I'm back," Adria called softly as she opened the door.

I looked to Seth and Lincoln, who had followed us. Seth edged up beside me. Jonathan had provided Seth a place to stay when he had first been on the run. Lincoln had helped Jonathan escape. They already had ties with my family, and were worried like I was.

Adria released my hand to go to my brother. My eyes adjusted to the dim illumination of a flashlight and I could make out him curled up on a small bed. My sister shook him awake gently, and he held onto her for his sanity.