Episode 14: Real Life

» 1 Year Later «

Jonathan gripped the steering wheel, driving through the last hour of our journey.

I looked to my brother, both of us smiling. It was late in the evening, and we were cutting it close to being on time.

"I'm not sure if this is suppose to feel normal," he stated, chuckling at my excitement.

"I don't know if anything could be normal again. Not as long as people remember another life," I laughed.

While it had taken a long time, the world finally got itself back in order. Many stories had been run. The realities were the primary concept of the news stations. The constant debate was between the Elements or if there was some kind of chemical explosion, sent us all into commas, and we've awaken a year after the fact.

A few scientists have plunged themselves into the mystery, while others came out with the truth. I watched for Lincoln, Seth, and Missy's names to come up but they never did. Some, who explained the Elements, could very well be their parents. The thought assured me.

Cassius was never heard of. His father, Concord, played a big role in presenting scenarios, only he died of natural causes not long after everything was running again.

Everyone has their own opinions, some more than others. I already set my mind on which side I agreed with, often not bothering to argue with people who just wanted to do so for the sake of debate.

Shortly following when we all "came back", we all realized life still had to go on. After a month or so, students went back to their schools. I finished my Junior year of Highschool.

Dad got a promotion at work and Mom found a new job she discovered she had an interest in. While in the other reality, she served as a nurse, and fell in love with the profession.

Adria started college and had to move away to pursue her education. We made sure to stay in touch. Her concern didn't lessen, even here. Jonathan was also in college, commuting there from our home.

We spent a lot of time together. Soon, we weren't only brother and sister, we were best friends, too. We began attending church together. Often, we talked about our experiences, good and bad. We swapped stories and shared views on nearly everything.

Our parents were ecstatic we were getting along so well, although they missed Adria. They brought up the other reality too, and we tried to find ways to link our stories. Their mental health never seemed to be compromised, which was an instant relief.

"So, you're alright in the head, then?" I asked Jonathan one day.

"It's all here. The ring was destroyed, which released the part of me trapped there," he said.

Then that topic would bring up questions about Seth's state along with Missy's.

Sometimes, one of us would wake up from nightmares of the lingering torture. It was still part of our lives. The familiarities of home were a factor in peace. Human contact was still a remedy. The biggest thing was our belief in the One stronger. His truths halted the fear and panic.

Yet, both of us still worried about our new friends. We had tried to find them through every resource we had. The internet, school, police-- everything. After the world had been put back, there was a hotline through which we could search for people. We tried that too.

Many people had used it. Finally, about a week before our road trip Jonathan and I took, our request was filtered through. We talked with an agent who helped us come in contact with Lincoln.

The three of us worked out details to meet up as soon as we could. Our parents let us go, understanding from our stories that they were genuine people and I was obviously still interested in Seth.

Jonathan's loud singing with the radio brought me out of my thoughts. His voice wasn't half bad.

"Ever thought about making a band or something?" I asked, half joking, half serious.

He laughed. "Yeah, like that would work. Silly little sister, the impossible becoming reality has gone to your head."

I shrugged, grinning. Then, I realized we were parked in front of the restaurant. The excitement clashed with my nerves. Before I could acknowledge how nervous I was, we were in the restaurant, being lead to our seats.

I saw Lincoln first, glancing at the doorway to watch for our arrival. Him and Seth had been talking, but when Lincoln saw us, he stopped suddenly, grinning in our direction. Seth twisted around to see me, his gaze stopping me in my tracks.

He stood, looking more comfortable in his own skin than the first time I met him. He looked healthy, content, joyful. As he smiled, his chest hitched on a sigh. I walked to him, trying not to skip to his side.

Our fingers reached for each other, arms wrapped around the other, hearts beating in sync. His hand covered the back of my head protectively as we embraced, though we were safe.

When we broke apart, I couldn't stop smiling. On all days, God was good. However, in that moment, I felt like He had blessed me with more than just a good life. It was a grand adventure.

"All of my memories are back. The compass was destroyed, so they returned to me," he stated, never taking his eyes off me. He searched my face, catching the wonder in my expression. We sat down next to each other. His hand easily covered mine as he went on. "I'm happy to tell you that I don't remember falling in love with anyone else. Just you. Always you."

My heart beat fast as his words brought a new light to the room. I wanted to know how he had lived, what he had done, where he went, what he thought of. I wanted to know what he knew, see what he saw, for him to teach me what he taught Jonathan about God.

I wanted to experience life with him again. I wanted to simply be with him.

Thank you, Lord, for bringing us back, I prayed silently, the smile spreading on my face.

"God had taught me so much, Rowin," he continued, slipping his arm around my shoulders. "I knew we'd find each other again."

I leaned into him, feeling complete.

"I prayed we would."

I then took in the other people at the table. Eden was absent. Lincoln and Missy were still together. I noticed the ring on her left hand, signaling Lincoln had proposed.

Just from a glance, it seemed we were all ready for normal life. It was harder to think about than it should've been, since we all met under such unusual circumstances.

"So," Jonathan began, clasping his hands together, "who's going to explain their insane reality of a life first?"

THE END