-prologue-

"Thomas!"

Tom let out an angry huff and turned around, his nonexistent eyes narrowed. A lock of light brown hair drooped into his face and he brushed it away with a hand.

His father opened the long doors that led to Tom's bedroom and shot a glare at him.

"You're in peasant clothes!" The taller man shrieked.

"Yes, I must say your sight has gotten better," Tom said with a hint of sarcasm.

"Watch your mouth, boy," his father hissed. "I'll have one of the maids bring you your-"

"No! I'll get it myself. I already told you I don't like the idea of maids," Tom crossed his arms.

"You are stubborn. Hear that? Stubborn!" The king shook his head in disappointment. "Anyhow, next week the princess of Kang is-"

"I know! I'm getting married to that foul beast of a girl," Tom sat in a chair by the window and gazed out of it wistfully.

"Thomas! That's not very princely!"

"But it's true!" The prince insisted. "Her breath smells like dead fish, she herself smells like the behind of a cow, and her hair is like a nest of robins!"

Tom's father frowned and tapped his foot on the marble floor. "That may be true, but this is all we can do to stop the quarrel," he explained.

"Whatever." Tom mumbled, stood up, and left without a word.