-thirteen-

Tom walked in first, since it was the safest choice they had. Tord stayed behind him, eyes flitting everywhere.

"I can feel you trembling, it'll be okay," he whispered to the prince, crouching and pressing himself against the wall.

"I know." Tom stood over him, walking slowly as Tord crawled beside him.

No one seemed to pay any attention to them. The King was talking to someone, while Ruby was flirting with another male.

Tord noticed Tom give Ruby a sour look even though she didn't see.

"That's her?"

"Yeah.." Tom growled. "An idiot, she is."

In silence they continued creeping along the walls. The exit was closer and closer with each step. Finally, when they were a couple feet away from the door:

"Thomas!" The King called.

"Run!" Tord scrambled to his feet and grabbed Tom's arm before dragging him outside.

-Tord's POV-

Thomas stumbled after me, but I kept running as fast as I could. The castle gates were in full view.

"We're not gonna make it!" he wailed.

"Yes we are!" I yelled.

I assumed that the King had called the guards after us because people started screaming and there were heavy footsteps behind us.

"T-Tord!" Tom panted. "There are watchtowers!"

I hadn't thought of that. Arrows whistled through the air and landed near us; too near. Tufts of grass would fly whenever one of those deadly spears landed. I yanked Thomas closer by the arm. Guards started throwing swords.

Good thing their aim sucked.

The gates were closer than ever.

I felt my arm being tugged down as Thomas fell. I looked at him. An arrow was embedded in his shoulder and in his leg. Blood trickled from the wounds but there would be more if we didn't hurry.

"Thomas!" I yelled and picked him up bridal style, continuing to run. He screamed in pain and writhed around in my arms. "Stop moving!"

Since the Ball was tonight, the gates were open. I ran through them and couldn't help but smirk as I heard the King screeching orders at his guards in a flurry of panic.

They stopped chasing us a few feet after we passed the gates. I turned to change directions and ran inside of the forest, following the trail. It led me to a safe-looking clearing.

"Th-Thomas, just hang on," I laid him down on the ground.

His eyes were half-lidded and a noise of pain emitted from his parted lips.

I kneeled down and pulled the arrow out of his shoulder. Thomas screamed so I covered his mouth.

"Bite my hand when it hurts," I said, putting my hand in his mouth. He nodded.

Once again, I pulled the other arrow out of his leg. He bit down on my hand, almost breaking it. I yelped and brought my hand away, wiping his saliva off on my pants. He whimpered in pain as I ripped two pieces of cloth from my shirt.

"You're okay now.." I murmured after pressing the cloth on each of his wounds.

"Yeah.." He smiled softly and tiredly at me. "I love you, Tord."

"I love you too, Thomas."

~The End~