Chapter 1.1 ✦ The Princess Of Theia

Overly pompous dresses and fancy accessories are never her thing.

The elegant dress with its graceful frills is definitely inviting, but one would think twice before approaching the princess upon looking at her face.

Despite the gleaming crown over her blonde hair smiling proudly, the expression on her face tells others otherwise. With furrowed brows, narrowed eyes and twisted lips, she stares at her reflection with a strong look of displeasure.

"You look stunning, my dear Alaina."

She can see the king's reflection clearly in the mirror. Smiling, he wears an expression of a complete opposite of hers.

A sudden shriek from the lady-in-waiting to Alaina's right doesn't even startle her. Instead, she turns to the source with full alert, instinctively lifting her long dress slightly to allow easier movements if necessary. Underneath and unseen by others, her fingers rest on the sheath of a pocket dagger tied to a belt that's securely fastened around her right thigh.

To her disappointment, it is only a mere insect creeping along the walls. Then again, she isn't really disappointed after all -- nothing ever happens in the palace. The lonely, boring palace.

Unfortunately, Alaina's swift yet slightly rash actions are not gone unnoticed by the king. When she notices his gaze upon her, Alaina drops her head, not wanting to look him in the eye. Alastair Rowell has always been observant. One can not simply escape his sharp eyes.

She knows exactly what's coming.

"What is that you have under your dress?" He lets out a deep, heavy sigh. "Alaina, dear -- how many times do I have to tell you?"

Sighing once more when silence is all he receives as a reply, Alastair starts making his way towards Alaina. "You know very well I only wish for you to be safe."

Unwillingly, Alaina surrenders her pocket dagger to the king's outstretched hand. "Father, listen --"

"Most importantly, you are my one and only daughter," Alastair says, cutting her off. He can see the strange look that's plastered on her face. "I do not want to lose you." Then, softly, he adds, "I do not want to lose another one of you."

She says nothing. Lifting her eyes from the ground, she finally finds the courage to look him in the eye. There's a sharp pain in her chest at the mention of her late mother. It's a depressing topic none of them like to be reminded of, because it's too painful to relive the memory.

"I can protect myself," she says finally, changing the topic in an attempt pull her thoughts away from the painful, unwanted memories. "And I certainly do not wish to become an ignorant princess unworthy of respect."

"You are worthy of respect. The people of Theia expect a lot from you."

Gently, she pulls his hand in hers. Now eye to eye, Alaina locks his gaze. "Father, I know you love me, and you are only protecting me for my benefit," she says firmly, smiling for the first time today. "But I want to see the world. I want people to respect me for who I am, instead of who I ought to be."

Alastair is silent. Indeed, he wants the best of her, but he definitely doesn't want to overlook what's best for her in her own individual, unique opinion.

Before he has the chance to say anything else, however, there is a light knock on the grand doors, which is then closely followed by a call from outside. "Your majesty?"

"Please, come in."

A royal messenger of the palace swings the double doors open and enters. He bows to both the king and the princess in respect.

The king flicks his hand dismissively. "At ease."

"The King of Nyx has called for an emergency meeting. Your presence is required at once," the messenger says before standing straight, gesturing for the king to follow.

Hesitant, Alastair turns to his daughter and kisses her forehead lightly. "We shall continue this conversation tonight."

Nodding, Alaina smiles. "I await your return."

Turning to the lady-in-waiting at the corner of the room, Alastair says, "please look after the princess. Make necessary preparations for her meeting with Duke Neil tomorrow morning."

At the mention of this, Alaina rolls her eyes at the sudden reminder of one of her many troublesome princess duties, but tries her best to hide it from her father.

"Where is Lancaster?" Alastair asks impatiently as Alaina perks up slightly.

Upon sensing the impatience in the king's tone, one of the palace guards standing just outside the room enters. "He is at the courtyard, your majesty," he answers quickly.

"I will go look for him!" Alaina offers immediately, but to her dismay, Alastair only dismisses her.

Facing the guard, he says, "please accompany the princess to her room. See to it that she remains safely in her room until I return." He casts one last smile in Alaina's direction, before leaving with the messenger for the immediate meeting.

The orders Alastair had just given to both the lady-in-waiting and the guard displeases her, yet Alaina's lips twist into a sly smile.

No one can bind her.