Chapter 23.2 ✦ Cataclysm

LLOYD

He watches in horror as the statue goes crumbling down, as the great red banner comes falling to the fire and burning into pieces.

As catastrophe spreads, all these scenarios make him question what is truly going on. The red banner should have been part of the installation ceremony; could it be that someone of their side is taking it down? If so, are they in trouble, considering they are so near to the podium where the guards should be?

Hesitation is at its peak within Lloyd this day, this very moment, something he has never once experience, much less bother to consider about the problems it might bring.

Yet there he is, standing in the bell tower, watching helplessly as chaos takes its place upon the place he calls home.

Lloyd glances nervously to Trevor, who he has shoved in the corner and threatened with his own smarts: claiming he has a bomb that will destroy them both once he pulls it out of his pocket. He can only rely on Trevor's naivety and gullibility to delay time.

Seeming to catch his eyes, Trevor chuckles. "I told you: the beginning is only the end."

Eyes narrowing, Lloyd is careful to keep his hand in his pocket as a pretence to his lie. "What are you supposed to be, a spy?"

"Whatever and however you wish to think it. I was supposed to guard you – you're really sharp. Didn't you suspect Trajan, anyway? Well, I suspect you."

"Did you not say earlier that my intelligence wasn't in any way great to what you fathom of? And suspect, you say? What in Asteria are you trying to get at?"

There's an insignificant, yet undeniable little movement from Trevor. Lloyd makes sure he is still at least five feet away from him just in case he decides to somehow attempt anything funny, and double checks with a quick reassurance of his own senses that his hand is still at it, faking a scene.

"You're damn right to suspect Trajan," Trevor admits, grinning. "He's the mastermind of all of this." Upon seeing Lloyd's horror-struck expression, he adds, "What, didn't expect a loyal general could've – with his very own hands that he's sworn to use to solely protect the seven kingdoms – be the cold-blooded murderer himself, to be the traitor of his own kingdom, his own people? People are so naïve to trust an oath made by knights, where it's merely based on plain o' words. You are all predisposed into thinking that you'll be living a life of peace and protection under the seven kingdoms system, but that is nothing but an illusion, a lie."

Lloyd is unable to think of what made Trevor think that way, and worst of all, is unable to imagine the general being a threat, an enemy. Sure, he's had his suspicions, but only to the extent of him hiding something – especially after the incident with Kai – and never as something so far as to lead an entire group of desperate, innocent rebels into a trap set by him all along only to destroy any potential threats or to ensure the absolute rule of an empire.

But the puzzle pieces all fit: the fact that he was behind Kai's attack, and the way he insisted Kai to tell him anything he remembers afterwards, for he must've overheard or oversaw something Trajan was hiding and plotting. And what of his insistence to send Rose and Kai outside? To protect them is nothing but a cover up; he wants them out of the way.

"Trajan sent Rose and Kai away to make sure they don't interfere because of their gifts, is that right?" Lloyd asks through gritted teeth.

Trevor looks amused at his reaction, as if enjoying this despite his 'dangerous' position. "Those two have a surprise coming their way."

"You –"

"Lloyd!"

Unable to question further due to the sudden mention of his name from below, Lloyd turns around instinctively to the source of pleasant interruption, recognising the voice immediately.