Chapter 14.1 ✦ Starting Line

"They're whispering, 'you're out of time',
But still I rise."
~ Kai (Katy Perry, Rise)

♚♚♚♚♚

"What do you mean 'the dark side of Caelus'?" Rose repeats mockingly, searching around, unafraid at all. "It's just some abandoned area." She crosses her arms, unimpressed; obviously she's expecting more than what's before them when Kai had made the statement.

"It's just deserted," Lloyd adds.

"What is wrong with you people? It was only meant to be a joke," Kai says innocently, earning a glare from Lancaster. "Really? After everything that happened in the forest, you expect more crazed up adventures?"

"We're just being careful," Alaina replies. Rolling her eyes, she adds, "thank you for the sarcasm."

But her comment is unheard by Kai, because he stares off in the distance, squinting his eyes at something ahead. When they follow his line of sight, they find a very torn and old looking piece of paper, dangling loosely from where it is pasted on the stone wall ahead. When the wind blows, it looks like it's about to fall off.

Curious, Kai takes a few quick steps forward to read its contents. His face turns sour upon reading the paper, and the others can tell that whatever it is, it isn't good news.

"Congratulations, we're now officially named as criminals." Kai peels off the paper glued to the wall and shoves it in their faces. "For the record, it is still all your fault, by the way."

"This better not be another one of your lame jokes." Lancaster shoots him another glare before reading the paper.

With the paper in hand, Alaina reads the inscription on it, done in a neat and tidy, yet threatening way:

Important:

Be on the look out for a small group of young men and women, who claim themselves to be travellers here in the peaceful Kingdom of Caelus.

Together with the Princess of Theia herself, they are a threat to the upcoming empire, and may be a threat to the people of Caelus.

As of yesterday, they have been taken into custody as ordered by the King of Theia himself in the dungeons of Caelus. Yet, due to unexplainable situations, they have managed to escape rather impossibly. Their whereabouts are still currently unknown, but it is believed that they may still be in Caelus.

Royal Knights will be on guard at all times around Caelus for safety reasons. If you care about your loved ones, please report of any odd activities you may stumble across, such as the young group of runaways and the rumoured rebellion.

It is for the better of Caelus, and for the better of Asteria.

An official message of the probably threats has been sent to the other kingdoms.

This is a final warning: any movements against the empire are considered a threat to all of Asteria and a heavy crime. Punishments are far worse than death.

"At least they did not mention our names?" Rose says encouragingly when she finishes, slightly hesitant and wincing slightly.

"They make it sound so serious," Alaina says, clenching her fists.

Scanning around, Lancaster makes sure there is no one else around before saying, "Holy Church of Iros. Now. Before anyone sees us."

"It's not far from here; plus there won't be anyone around this area, anyway."

*****

Half destroyed and demolished, the Holy Church of Iros stands with only what remains in an empty field, desolated and isolated.