Chapter 1.2 ✦ The Princess Of Theia

She runs, ignoring the cries from the lady-in-waiting gradually disappearing in the distance. Random guards in the hallways try to stop her, but it is futile. She dashes through one hallway after another, not stoping to look back.

Her dress is rather bothersome. She would have reached her destination by now, if it isn't for the long dress and its frills restraining her movements. The dress itself is a statement she is irritated by -- a princess, bound to the castle and her people. A fate she is born with.

But that isn't what she is. Alaina refuses to allow her responsibilities and what people would expect of her get in her way of achieving her desires.

You can be whoever you want to be, her mother always said.

Stopping around a corner, she listens closely for any footsteps nearby. When she knows she's alone, she rips the bottom hem of her dress, pulling apart the laces and frills from the dress.

So fragile, Alaina thinks, as she simply scatters the torn laces and frills of her dress around the hallway. Perhaps she feels too confined, so leaving her mark ought to show the people she can't simply be controlled.

When she's satisfied, she skips along the now messy hallway and out of the palace halls to the sun kissed courtyard. Alaina steps out on the stone steps, letting the breezy air lift her hair and now short dress, allowing the sun to shine on her pale skin.

Looking around, she finds several knights around the courtyard, all swinging their weapons at one another. She eyes them with envy; if she has the power to choose, she would be a boy. Funny wish, she knows this herself, yet she can't help always wishing for something she doesn't -- or can't -- have.

Alaina's eyes fall upon a young knight -- probably the youngest of the group of knights. He swings his sword very skilfully, and she can't help but wonder how he keeps his short, slicked back blonde hair so tidily despite moving around so swiftly around the courtyard.

When he stops to take a break, she clears her throat, earning his attention. "Lancaster Alnwick," she announces loudly across the courtyard, "the king has summoned you."

The other knights bow slightly at the sight of the princess, casting nervous glances over at Lancaster, who has his brows furrowed. She smiles when he keeps his sword back in its sheath on his waist as he approaches her.

"Your highness," Lancaster says when he is face to face with Alaina. "Mind telling me what is going on?"

"The king has summoned you," she answers, walking past him and across the courtyard. Without even looking back, Alaina knows he's following close behind.

"Has the king really, or is it you who summoned me?"

Alaina doesn't answer, but she pouts, although unseen by him. He knows her too well. She doesn't stop until they reach the gardens. Immediately after she stops, she finally turns to look at him. She raises a finger in front of his face before any words can come out of his now open mouth, silencing him and stopping whatever it is that he wanted to ask or say.

"Your highness, you are not thinking --"

"You know me so well," she beams, "let's go!"

Sighing, he finds the princess too predictable. "Really, now? And just last night you went out all by yourself; now you are doing it again? At least I am here with you this time. What happened to my duties of being your personal knight? Why did you go alone last night?"

"Sorry, Lancaster. I just... it was late," Alaina replies, looking downwards at the grass they're standing on, shuffling her feet. Slowly, she glances up to her knight with hopeful eyes.