Chapter 8 ✦ Spark

"The battle is over,
Nobody wins this time."
~ Lancaster (Alex G., Warning Signs)

♚♚♚♚♚

Lancaster follows Clyde, a royal knight as well as his friend when he was still in Caelus, down a narrow staircase spiralling endlessly downwards as he recalls the events back in the castle, where he'd seen the king.

"Lancaster," the king said through weary eyes, "just what have you been up to?"

"Nothing too heavy of a crime to have myself beheaded, your majesty," Lancaster replied with a small smile. "It has been a while."

The king chuckled. "Sure it has, and I do hope you are doing just fine in Theia," he let out a sigh, "which brings me to my question: just what are you and your friends -- even the Princess of Theia herself -- doing here? The King of Theia has given the permission -- an order, really -- to take those along with her highness into custody. You haven't done anything so as to betray your kingdom, have you?"

"Never in my life," Lancaster swore.

"And I do trust you," the king patted Lancaster's shoulder. "But an order is still an order... I am in no power to do anything against the King of Theia's personal request, as it was made upon all seven kingdoms," he sighed before continuing, "I am able to, though, offer you a place by my side. That allows you to escape your current position, since you are a capable knight."

At the king's words, Callahan frowned in the background, his fists clenched. He wore an expression of deep jealousy. Lancaster contemplated the offer, but it wasn't for his own sake, but for the others.

"What about the others?"

"Unfortunately, they have nothing to offer, unlike you. We have no choice but to keep them away from trouble until the installation's over."

"And may I ask, what are your views in regards to the formation of a new empire?"

"It is for the best of Asteria," the king replied without a second thought.

Of course, Lancaster knew from the beginning the answer wasn't going to be to his liking. "I apologise, your majesty, but I will have to decline the offer. Because right now, I have something far more important than myself."

As much as how the king is still the same person who recognises Lancaster's strengths and capabilities, in a way though, Lancaster knows for sure, the king is obviously not himself.

He has worked alongside the King of Caelus for a long time, and Lancaster recognises him as someone who loves his people and his kingdom more than himself. If there is a rebellion forming in Caelus, then the people are most certainly unhappy -- and shouldn't the king have noticed? Instead, he appears to be in full support of the man named Caecilius Black, not glancing back at all at what he's about to leave behind.

"Not regretting this, Lancaster?" Clyde asks when they reach the bottom of the stairs, a wooden door before them. He turns to face his former teammate. "An uncaged bird is one that flies the highest, towards the sky and beyond."

Lancaster raises a brow at the mention of the knights' motto. "Still that? I thought Callahan must have changed it, since he loathes every part of me."

Clyde shakes his head. "He's changed it, all right; but he shall never change our hearts," he places a fist at his chest, where his heart is. "Caelus has never been the same without you. Just remember this: Caelus, ruler of the skies and deep within; amidst the skies there's a heart of fire, and the spark lies within."