Chapter 10.1 ✦ Mystic Forest

"She's going down fighting,
Denying the warning signs."
~ Alaina (Alex G., Warning Signs)

♚♚♚♚♚

Kai runs his fingers through his already messy brown hair, feeling anxious. His mind swirls in endless cycles in search for something that doesn't exist, trying his very best to connect the dots when there aren't any to begin with. Left with no words, he wonders what to say to the others when they find their friend missing -- all alone in the dark forest south of Caelus that to Kai's knowledge consists of unidentified, mystical species and mythical creatures.

Lancaster's stern face crosses his mind, and he shudders at the consequences if the scary looking knight finds out that he did not at least stop Rose. But Kai hasn't another second to search for the right words or to find a pitiful excuse, or to even think about running away from this mess as the others are already at the gap.

When Alaina and Lancaster reach the gap, they help Lloyd up. Despite having freedom closing in on them, their eyes cannot view the beauty of the star filled sky nor the shadowy figures of dark trees ahead. They do not have even a fraction of a millisecond to savour their moment of serenity -- even if it's probably something of such a blue moon for perhaps in a while, considering their positions -- as the picture before them is missing a piece: Rose.

Lancaster seizes Kai, who is trying to climb down the opposite side of the wall through similar vines at the sight of them. Kai is surprisingly light, Lancaster thinks, as he looks down and around for Rose, but doesn't find her. "Where is she?" to Kai's surprise, Lancaster seems to be asking out of mere curiosity as she isn't in their field of vision, with not a sign of worry as if it's expected that she plays hide and seek often.

Kai struggles, and when Lancaster finally sets him down, he climbs so fast down the vines Lancaster can hardly blink.

When his feet touch the soft grass below, he looks up nervously. "Your friend, she..." he trails off, trying to connect the words, "she ran off to the woods," he gestures to the dark trees behind him, "follow the vines and you'll find her -- but I really don't recommend venturing into the forest, no one's explored it fully yet," he finishes quickly, then adds softly, "or lived to tell the tale."

"What?" Alaina nearly shouts from above, and she climbs down the vines along with Lancaster and Lloyd. "Why didn't you stop her?" she asks, her eyes flickering from Kai to the forest.

"She just ran without warning; I didn't have a chance to stop her," Kai explains, stealing a glance at Lancaster and hoping he isn't going to kill him.

"Why did she run off?" Lloyd asks.

"Something about the vines. Follow the giant vines and you should find your friend, but --"

"No choice, then," Lancaster cuts him off, looking to Alaina, who nods in return. He sighs, "we'll have to go after her."

Kai pauses in his steps at the words, when he is just about to turn and leave. "What? You can't! I told you, it's best not to --"

"She's our friend," Alaina stops him. They share gazes for a moment, but Alaina drops her eyes to the ground and starts turning towards the forest. "She came because of me."

Watching her back, Kai feels slightly guilty, but angry at the same time. "But she might already be --" he bites his lip, hesitant, when Alaina turns back to glare at him, Lancaster shaking his head in the corner of his eyes. "The forest is gigantic. She could be anywhere," he says, rubbing the back of his neck. These people have poor comprehension levels, he thinks, are they out of their minds?