Chapter 17.2 ✦ Strategy

Unfortunately, they are dismissed before anything else is announced or disclosed, with Trajan saying there are more to be discussed during dinner, along with the other rebels.

When everyone else leaves and go their separate ways, Kai and Lloyd stays behind, lingering around the centre room.

"I was here," Kai says softly only audible to Lloyd, although he is sure no one else is around. He paces the room, a hand dragging along the old arching, circular wall along the room. "Late last night."

"And?" Lloyd follows him, crossing his arms and giving a serious thought about it.

Kai's hand falls limply to his side as he stops walking. "Nothing. I can't remember." Wincing at the sudden pain on his forehead, he grips the wall for support. There is a grey vision, and he nearly falls to the ground before Lloyd grabs him by the arm.

"Remember anything?"

"It happened somewhere here – I don't know."

"You won't get that sort of wound by simply fainting," Lloyd says. "That's the suspicious part." After helping Kai regain his balance, he adds, "General Trajan found you, correct? Did he specify where?"

Frowning, Kai replies, "no." He brings his hand up to the wound covered by the gauze on his forehead, his fingers brushing it gently. "You're right, though. This isn't a mere bruise – in fact, it was bleeding."

A sudden high pitched thrilling, piercing shriek travels from down a random corridor to their ears, sending chills running down their spine.

"What was that?" Kai asks, wincing as he covers his ears even after the sound is gone.

Lloyd sighs, not surprised at all after that one second of shock he felt. "Rose."

Blinking, Kai stares at Lloyd, who has his line of sight glued down at the corridor opposite of them, where the sound had come from. "Wow."

"What?"

"You recognise it's her, just from that less than a second vague, ear deafening shriek from miles away."

Only then does Lloyd takes his eyes away from the source of the shriek to meet Kai's grinning face. "I recognise her voice – her screams. I'd know it's her anywhere..." he trails off, embarrassed by Kai's unblinking stare. "She tends to yell and scream a lot, I mean," Lloyd clarifies, adjusting his glasses in an attempt to remain cool.

"Sure." Kai supresses his laughter, but fails to and ends up giggling anyway. "Whatever. Go check if she's fine."

"I'll see you at dinner," Lloyd says briefly, before disappearing down the corridor.

When he is gone though, Kai isn't alone. He is greeted by Trajan.

"How are you feeling?"

"Why do you keep asking?" Kai says, annoyance obvious in his tone. He scowls lightly at the sight of the man and backs away from him. Ignoring him, Kai quickens his steps, walking towards his room. But he barely makes it to the other end of the centre room before Trajan speaks again.

"I am merely concerned for your wellbeing." Trajan approaches Kai who has stopped walking, placing a hand on his shoulder. "If you have any issues, I'll always be willing to help. We are all part of a team. Speaking of which, if you somehow remember what happened to you, do let me know."

"I'm fine, thanks." Kai shakes Trajan's hand off. "I don't remember anything so far, and perhaps I never will. See you."

With that, he jogs away quickly before Trajan can say anything else.

*****

Lloyd had heard it all.

Back when he was about to go to check on Rose, he stumbled in the wrong corridor and happened to hear the entirety of Kai and Trajan's conversation when he'd returned.

Normally, he would feel guilty for eavesdropping. But this time, it's different. Something he heard can't seem to get out of his head.

Speaking of which, if you somehow remember what happened to you, do let me know.

When Kai first woke, the only people around him was Alaina, Lancaster, Rose, and Lloyd himself. Sure, General Trajan was the one who brought him into the medical wing when he'd found him injured, but Lloyd is certain he doesn't know anything further – or does he?

The only thing Trajan knows, if Lloyd isn't wrong, is that Kai fainted somewhere in the middle of the night. He'd presumed it was anaemia; but he doesn't know the reason – or if he actually fainted, for that matter – why he was injured.

And Lloyd is sure Kai dislikes Trajan enough to stay away from him, much less tell him about anything.

The real question remains: why, and how does General Trajan know Kai doesn't remember anything about it?

When Lloyd still has his mind busy running through thoughts, he barely notices someone walking directly in his way. But the other person doesn't seem to notice him either, because they both walk directly into each other.

"Sorry – your highness?"

"Ah, Lloyd. You know, I –" Alaina bites her lip, hesitating. "I was just looking for you."

"What is it?"

"There's something bothering me, and I believe only you can help me. Well..." trailing off, she swallows whatever she was about to say.

Lloyd takes note of this. "Your highness, whatever concerns you have, I'll always be your listener."

Leaning against the wall of the narrow corridor, Alaina smiles. "Thanks, Lloyd." She pulls him into the corner, too. "It's just... a rebellion sounds like the start of a war. And what happens after a war? Systems change."

Nodding, Lloyd urges her to go on.

"I don't know what will happen, even if we do succeed in refusing the emperor. I mean, the kings did agree on the proposal – and that includes my father. People would probably push the kings away, start another rebellion or something. What will happen to us then? I don't think anyone'd want mindless kings as their ruler; even if the empire fails to form, something's going to change. New kings, then? What will happen to me?"

What she's said are all true, and honestly, Lloyd hasn't given them a thought. But she's right: there's a risk, especially to royalty, and even to people like him who works in the palace. "Don't worry about it. For now, all we need to know and all we do know is that the people decline the empire, still hoping to live separately. They'll do all it takes to reject the formation of empire just to live their usual separate lives, so you need not worry. Because what's a kingdom without a ruler? And there's just no helping it; the seven kings must remain – who else, anyway – if they want to live separately as seven kingdoms forever. Besides, the kings are not evil rulers – people are rejecting the empire, not the kings. As long as we manage to refuse the empire completely, there's really no helping it, is there? We people got the power."

He gives her a reassuring smile, even if he's slightly unsure on the inside. Placing a hand on her shoulder, he says, "please do not worry, your highness."

Sighing, Alaina stands straight up again, away from the wall she was leaning on. "You're right, Mr. Know-It-All royal advisor," she states, mocking a bow dramatically as if they're in a royal court.

She turns to leave, her mood lighter; her mind is no longer disturbed. Before taking another step out of the corridor though, she stops. "Oh, and Lloyd?"

"Anything else?"

"I'd still need you as a good friend with goodadvice, anywhere and anytime – royal or not."