Chapter 18 ✦ Secrets

The underground base is no longer very crowded during the next two days. As Clyde had said, people are already starting to move out, travelling to Theia in groups. It'll be too obvious and difficult to travel in such a huge group, so they move separately in smaller groups, pretending to be people from all over the other kingdoms, only attending the installation as a spectator.

Alaina, Lancaster, Lloyd, Rose and Kai all stay back with Trajan, Clyde, and Trevor. Kai is really against the idea, but Trajan has insisted rather patiently – considering Kai's intolerable attitude and temper – that they stay back with them to tie up 'loose ends' – if they even have any. Alaina isn't even sure what Trajan meant by that, but they can only find out if they stay with him long enough.

"If you ever want to control that power of yours, I suggest you take a deep breath. Step one to control is controlling your own temper. And as far as I know, your temper... ah, you are far too hot-headed. Try being more patient for a start." That is the first thing Trajan tells Kai when he protests aggressively, immediately as Trajan asks of them to stay back with him.

"I'm in perfect control, thanks for your concern," Kai retorts. Lancaster begins nudging him, asking him to back off and stop starting an unnecessary fight; Alaina sighs, shaking her head. "I'd burn you anytime if I wanted to."

"From what I know, you are not in control. Have you ever questioned yourself why can't you make contact with people without them burning up?"

"That's none of your business!"

The moment he's said that, Alaina knows for sure he nearly ignited the entire room. She tugs Kai slightly, pulling him back.

To Alaina's surprise, even if Trajan's words are a little straightforward, he doesn't mean any harm. In fact, he is so patient that he's actually trying to convey something.

Sighing, he says, "you still have a long way to go."

"You sound like you know a lot about his powers," Lloyd states.

Trajan raises a questioning brow. "Not only his powers. Both of theirs – Kai's and Rose's; and, of course I do know about them."

"Don't act like you know all about these accursed –"

"They are a gift. A blessing from the Gods."

"No," Kai denies, refusing to listen. "Stop with your nonsense."

"Centuries ago, it is said that the Gods carry down heavenly powers and blessed selected people with a shower of light. The blessed were soon discovered to have great powers beyond the norm, and they were known as "The Gifted". Despite the name, some feared them, thinking they will bring destruction upon their land. But when Asteria fell into chaos, it was them, the Gifted, who saved humanity. Without them, we would not even be standing here today. Seven most powerful ones divided us into the seven kingdoms we now live in. Since then, they are no longer known as simply as "The Gifted", and instead are recognised as "Saints", as they were believed to be angels from above. The seven that shaped history – they are known as the Seven Great Saints."

"Stop. What are you talking about? There's no such story." Kai doesn't want to admit it, but he is slightly intrigued by the fact that he and Rose are not the only special ones. There were people like them, too, long ago in the past.

But that still doesn't convince him. How does Trajan know this? He has never before in his life heard of such a story, and by the bewildered looks he finds on the others, he is sure they have not either.

Lloyd shifts in his position, uncomfortable. "A myth? A legend? I –" he stammers, "– I've never heard of such a story. It isn't told in the history books." This is the first time hearing and being told about something he has zero knowledge for; even Lancaster finds it hard to believe that Lloyd doesn't know about this.

Heaving a sigh, Trajan looks down at his feet, his head hanging low like he isn't too happy speaking about it. "I've said too much."

Kai scoffs. "Save those fantasies for your children, maybe. We're overaged and have no time for your bedtime stories."

A look of hurt flashes across Trajan's face, and Kai almost feels guilty for what he's said. He wants to apologise, but that would also mean crushing his own pride.

But before Kai has a chance to even attempt to patch things up, Lancaster says suddenly, "What is your intention of telling us this? Why are you holding us back – just to tell us this story?" He narrows his eyes. "We are not even sure what to make of it; we have never heard of such a story. There is no such thing in our history."

There is a moment of silence as Trajan only hangs his head. His mind isn't even registering Lancaster's words. After a short pause, he finally says, "My children... No. My only daughter was killed the moment she was born because she gave off light."

It sounds so impossible in every possible way that no one speaks. Rose opens her mouth, but shuts it when Trajan's eyes fall on her, and she swears she is staring at glassy eyes of a proud and powerful general. Wearily, he says, "She would be your age..."

"I-I'm sorry, General," Alaina offers shakily. She exchanges nervous looks with Lancaster.

"It's nothing." Trajan looks away. "This is the reason I'm keeping a careful eye on you, Kai. Rose, too. Because I do not wish of you to share the same cruel fate as my beloved daughter."

"Fate?" Rose winces.

Trajan approaches Rose and puts a firm hand on her shoulder. "During the rebellion... I need both of you to stay in the woods. Not in the main frontal group invading the city, but in the shadows. You support us from the back, and –"

"But –"

"No." Trajan stretches a palm before the protesting Rose. "You both stand out – your powers might arouse unnecessary attention, curiosity, suspicion. And it's all risky. For the better, stay on the side-lines, it's for your own safety."

An unreadable expression forms on Trajan's face, and as he turns away from the others, his expression turns grim. "Please rest assured, though, because you still have a crucial role in our rebellion despite not being physically part of the main group."

Without another word, he leaves them alone.

"He made us stay behind, but separated us anyway." Alaina sighs. "But that's fine. At least I'll know Rose will be safe."

Lancaster nods, ignoring both Kai Rose who's obviously unhappy with the arrangements. "Perhaps the General has his reasons."

But Lloyd doesn't seem to buy it. The stories, the sudden unheard history, Trajan's worries and his reasons... Sure, it sounds – somewhat – logical, but where do all these come from? Everything sounds so... incomplete.

Something is missing, but he isn't confident what is.

"Whatever, he's in charge anyway. But I'm pretty certain there is something he isn't telling us."