Chapter 6

Yume emitted a faint purple glow that lit up the room a little.
"Will is everything to me!" she cried. "And now he's broken and cowering in the corner of the basement you trapped him in!"
Mabel's grin was unmistakably sinister. "Then, why don't you join him?" Mabel cackled as her hand shot toward Yume. With a flash of blue light, Yume was gone. But she wasn't gone fast enough for me to notice a light blue cuff form itself tightly around Yume's leg.
"Where is she?!" I demanded.
"In our basement, with her brother!" Mabel said. "I knew there was something up the moment you came to the tent this morning! Why don't you join them?"
I was whooshed to a dark room. Only the sensation was numbing, and when I was in the basement I fell to the floor.
After a while, I managed to stand. I tried to walk, but my leg was stopped before I could get very far. I looked down, seeing a glowing blue cuff around my ankle that kept me from walking too far.
Looking around the room, I noticed two small figures against the wall. They appeared to be children, each with an eye-patch. One, a boy, had pale blue hair that puffed out, creating a somewhat upside-down triangle shape. The other, a little girl, had bright purple pigtails that hung down the sides of her head. Both children had no shoes, only socks. Then it clicked.
"Will!" I whispered. "Yume! Why are you both kids now?"
Yume moaned and sat up straighter. "(Y/N)..." she murmured, "what are you doing here?"
"Mabel took me here..." I replied, walking over to the kids. "Is Will okay?"
As if on cue, Will opened his eyes. Or eye. Whatever. But he was obviously awake, and when he turned and saw Yume, he suddenly became wide awake.
"Yume!" he said, startled. "What are you doing here?" Will looked at me. "And you...you were the one who opened the door and then Mabel came and..." Will shuddered at the thought.
I crawled over to Will and hugged him. In reply, Will grabbed my shirt and started crying. "Shh..." I told him, stroking his hair. "It's fine now." Poor Will. He seemed to be no more than nine or ten years old. Yume was even younger, and she looked about seven.
Yume crawled over, too, and we all hugged each other. Three people trapped in a cold, dark basement. Will's soft blue glow brightened a bit, and so did Yume's purple glow.
"Yume?" I whispered.
"Hmm?" Yume looked up.
"Have you been here before?" I asked her.
Yume hesitated, then said, "Yes. Will and I were stuck down here for maybe five years. Being dream demons, we always look like this when the twins change us to human form. There was one day when..." Yume stopped talking.
"Come on, Yume, you can trust me," I assured her.
She continued. "There was one day when I did something wrong in their shows. I was waiting for them to punish me the way they always did, but that time...that time they took it out on Will...they lit him on fire. And since we're dream demons, we can't die from fire. But Will was hurt anyway, and then the fire went out..there were black marks everywhere. And the twins laughed. They laughed at him." Yume started crying, too.
"That night, Dipper came down alone to check on us," Yume continued. "I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden my chain broke. I don't know what came over me. I tackled him and we were just wrestling on the ground. I remember yelling at him a lot...then he shoved me off and flung me against the wall. The next thing I knew, I was free. But I wasn't with Will. So I wanted to find him and get revenge on the Gleeful twins."
Yume's grip on me tightened. Her fury was so tangible you could practically bite into it.
We continued hugging in that corner, comforting each other in the cold, dark basement.