Chapter 12

Dipper and I were heading over to the Mystery Shack when suddenly he stopped walking.

"Dipper?" I asked him. "Why did we stop?"

"Do you want to go somewhere else today?" he replied.

I huffed. "Fine. I'm giving you a chance, so...surprise me. And it had better be nice, or I'm running off without you whether you like it or not."

"Point taken." I felt the familiar whooshing sensation as Dipper and I were thrown into a blinding blue void.

When we were thrust back into reality, it took me a moment to look at my surroundings. We were standing on top of the huge cliff that had a strange UFO-shaped hole in it. The town seemed so small from where we were standing. Dipper and I turned around to see a spectacular view of the sunset. A gentle breeze blew my hair to the side.

I turned to see Dipper sitting down and silently offering me to take a seat next to him. So I sat down in the soft grass as Dipper and I watched the sun sink below the horizon.

"Do you like it?" he asked me. His voice was barely above a whisper, but in the almost-silence of the moment, it seemed louder than it actually was.

I found myself leaning a little toward him. "Y-Yeah..." I managed to reply. "It's...wow..."

Dipper and I sat there in silence, watching the sunset. I didn't know how long we were there, but eventually I felt something brush onto my hand...and stay there. I didn't have to look down to see what it was. As if on cue, I could feel heat rushing up to my cheeks. I didn't look down at our hands, but I did sneak a quick glance at Dipper's adorably red face. I'd never seen this side of him before.

I knew we'd been sitting there for a long time. The sun had already disappeared below the horizon, and all of a sudden a wave of exhaustion washed over me. I felt my eyelids getting heavy, my body starting to lean to one side. My thoughts were all murky, a blob of randomness that couldn't be deciphered. So I wasn't thinking about which direction I was tilting.

I felt my head rest on Dipper's shoulder as my eyelids finally shut. I couldn't see what was going on around me, but I felt Dipper's hand slide up my back to rest on my shoulder. The corners of my mouth turned up to make a smile, and I could imagine Dipper doing the same.

"Tired?" he asked.

"Mhm..." I murmured.

"Do you want to head back?"

I thought about that. "No..." I replied. "Too tired to move..."

I felt Dipper's shoulders move up and down as he laughed. He rubbed his thumb gently against my shoulder, back and forth. As the warm summer breeze brushed past me, I slowly sank into sleep.

~~the next morning~~

I groggily opened my eyes. What time is it... I wondered. Sunlight was streaming in through the window. Right. There was a show in the afternoon, not in the morning this time. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. How did I get back into my room?

I heard movement somewhere else in the room, and found Dipper sitting in an armchair. Oh. I frantically looked down and was relieved to find that I was in yesterday's clothes. At least that was some consolation.

Dipper stood up. "Morning, sunshine."

"No."

"No, what?"

"Just...no nicknames," I sighed. "I mean, we've barely known each other for a month. Seriously, hold up the flirting for a bit, got that?"

Dipper let out a soft chuckle. "But have you ever considered that possibility?"

I sat up, flustered. Was he really thinking what I thought he was thinking? "And what exactly do you mean by that?"

Dipper sat down at the foot of my bed. Close, but not bursting my personal bubble. "You know...the possibility of us."

My face probably looked like a big cherry at this point. But I thought about it. And...I didn't know what I did or didn't want to believe. "...Maybe," I said after a moment of hesitation. "Give me maybe a month or so, and I'll give you an answer."

"I'm a patient person," Dipper replied with a half smile. "I can wait a month. Until then...I'll be waiting." He lightly touched my hand to his lips before turning and leaving my room.