Chapter 01 - Prologue

Prologue

Lorena sat on a wooden bench in front of the altar. The only light streaming through the windows from the moon. She sat with her hands clutched on top of the blue velvet folds of her dress. Her eyes closed and her head bowed, appearing to be praying.

A slight click informed her of the main doors closing, and the presence of another person. The scuff of boot on stone let her know when the person was almost behind her. She opened her eyes and lifted her head. The person did not move.

"Who's that at a time like this?" Lorena asked, just as she had practiced.

There was no response.

Lorena stood and walked to the altar, she then turned into the moonlight and looked upon the human shape, hidden in the shadows. "Did you come to pray?"

Silence.

"Who are you?"

The shape stepped forward, and the moonlight shone upon Murtagh's face.

"Murtagh?" she asked, in a blank tone as she had practiced. Though her face deceived her. The loving smile was impossible to hold back. But Murtagh's face changed into distress.

A shadow from the back of the room, one that Lorena had overlooked, began its walk down the aisle. Lorena's breathing became laboured as panic set in. The shape stepped beside, then in front of Murtagh. The moonlight reflected off of his sharp crown.

"My King!" cried Lorena, horrified she dropped onto her knees and lowered her eyes to the ground. Galbatorix chuckled, deep and terrifying.

"You said you were not meeting anyone, Murtagh. But it seems to me that Lorena here was expecting you."

"Sir, Lorena did not know that I was coming here, and neither did I know that she would be here." said Murtagh. There was a sound of flesh against flesh, then a body hitting the ground.

"Do not lie to me Murtagh. You will be punished for lying!" Galbatorix's voice was hard and cold. Polished black boots entered Lorena's field of vision. A hand grabbed her hair and forced her face upward. She stared into black fiery eyes.