Chapter 23

Lorena dozed, a comfortable weight pressed against her chest as she looked up at carved lacquered figures on the ceiling. She slipped out from under Murtagh's arm and stretched. The air was cool against her bare skin, looking around she saw clothes strewn across the room. Blushing, she remembered the previous night and looked adoringly down at Murtagh.

He lay on his side, still fast asleep. The sheets pooled at his waist. He was fit and strong, with long dark brown hair. She thought about curling up next to him and going back to sleep, but decided against it.

Picking her clothes off the floor, she quickly got dressed. Once satisfied with her appearance, she gently knocked on the door. It cracked open, revealing two new guards.

"What time is it?"

They smirked. "Early morning."

Lorena looked back at Murtagh, his tanned chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm. "I'll come back soon."

Lorena walked through Tronjheim until she managed to find her room. When there she washed and changed into the red dress. She slipped on her amethyst bracelet and admired the way it caught the light before returning to Murtagh's cell.

The human guard knocked on the door and Lorena entered. Murtagh sat up rubbing his face. "How long have you been gone?"

Lorena sat at the desk and picked up a scroll. "A while," she glanced at him. "How are you feeling?"

"Very good actually, that was great last night." The enthusiasm in his voice made Lorena beam.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."

Murtagh stood, the sheets slipped to the floor. Lorena pretended not to notice as he stepped up behind her. His arm wrapped around her shoulders, as the other reached out and took the scroll she had been holding. "Do you like poetry?"

"I guess, would you read me some?"

Murtagh frowned. "You can't read?"

"I can, it's just been a while."

"Well then, you can read me some." He stepped back and offered a hand. Accepting it, Lorena stood and allowed him to lead her back to the bed.

* * *

They spent the morning reading various scrolls and eating the meals the cook sent.

Dropping a scroll on the floor, Murtagh reached out and cupped Lorena's face. "Tell me about your family."

Lorena felt a catch in her throat, "What do you want to hear?"

"Anything." He smiled down at her.

"I... I'm close with my father. He taught me how to communicate with my mind, and how to use a sword."

"Why did he teach you to fight? It's not a common thing for a father to teach his daughter."

"He wanted me to protect the family in case he wasn't around."

"But you have a brother, most people would just teach their sons."

Lorena hesitated. She trusted Murtagh, but she was still nervous. "My father never taught my brother to fight, nor how to communicate with his mind. My brother, Jordane, was two years younger than me. He was born without a left arm."

Murtaghs' brows lifted in surprise.

"My mother said that it shouldn't matter, and that my father should teach him these things because he needed to protect the family if my father wasn't home." Lorena talked quickly, "But he said that he didn't need to, that I had the skills to take on that role. My mother didn't appreciate it, and I honestly think that's why she was often cold to me. In saying that, my father wasn't necessarily warm to Jordane either. But, he was my best friend. We could always confide in each other, and commiserate when our parents fought about us. I started teaching him to guard his mind not long before..."