Chapter 08

When Eragon hit the ground the Urgal's descended upon him, one let out a triumphant shout. The cheering was short lived, they had forgotten about the other members of the group, particularly the enraged dragon. Saphira bit down upon her target and shook her head violently, almost snapping him in two.

Though the Urgal's were numerous and they were able to capture Eragon's limp form from them. The group continued to fight vigorously, as a few carried off Eragon. They were about to give chase when Murtagh shouted, "Soldiers!"

Lorena turned and could see the soldiers galloping towards them, they had managed to get close, concealed by the dark. The Urgals had spotted them too, and were making their way towards them with Eragon. "They're almost upon us!" Lorena yelled. "Fly, Saphira!"

"Get on your horse! Go!" Murtagh finished off his Urgal by shoving his sword through its neck, then he had Lorena by the arm and they were mounting the horses. Saphira roared. "We can't do anything Saphira, you can't be captured too! We'll have to come back!"

With an angered yet distressed growl Saphira took flight. Murtagh and Lorena dug their heels into the horses and took off, galloping as fast away from Gil'ead as possible. Lorena managed to look over her shoulder, and watch as the Urgals handed Eragon over to the soldiers.