Chapter 24

"What?"

Ajihad stepped into the room and explained that a horde of Urgals were currently in the tunnels making their way to Farthen Dûr. They expect the battle to begin within a few hours. "This is your chance to show me, and the rest of the Varden your good intentions."

Murtagh considered his words. "But aren't you worried that I might turn against you?"

"Evenif you do I doubt you can make all that much of a difference."

Murtagh looked to Lorena who grinned and exclaimed "Let's go."

"Murtagh," Ajihad called, "you can go to the armoury and be equipped with what you need. You will find your horse in the stables. As for you," Ajihad turned to Lorena, "you will accompany the other women and children into the surrounding valleys. If the fight goes well then you will all return, if not guides will take you all to Surda."

Lorena was taken aback. "But I can fight. I fought with Murtagh, Eragon and Saphira on the way here. I am good with a sword!"

"I would rather you go with the women." Murtagh's words were soft, but they still stung.

"I will allow you two to decide. I have urgent matters that need attending." With that Ajihad turned and left.

"How can you say that? I have fought with you before."

"Yes but we had no choice before, we needed as many swords as possible."

"It seems to me that we need as many swords as possible now! The Urgals are probably the Kull that chased us here."

"Which is why I don't want you there!" Murtagh scowled darkly.

"Yet you will fight?" Murtagh nodded. "How can you expect me to run, yet for you to stay? You are the most important thing to me," she grasped his hands, "I want to stay with you, I want to fight beside you! If you want me to go then fine, but only if you come with me."

"You want me to cower behind the women and children?" Murtagh's face contorted in outrage.

"I want you to do what you would have me do. We can fight together, or we can run together." Lorena released Murtagh's hands and stepped back. "Decide quickly."

"I need to prove to the Varden that I am no threat. I need to prove that I am trustworthy."

"Don't you realise that they don't find me trustworthy either. With our relationship I'm in the same position as you."

Murtagh's angered look turned to defeat.

* * *

An hour later Murtagh and Lorena joined the field ready for battle. They were both armed and armoured, Tornac and Cadoc trailing behind them. Murtagh pointed out Saphira and they made their way over.

Eragon and Orik sat next to Saphira, when they noticed Orik leapt to his feet. Murtagh said quickly, "It's alright; Ajihad released me."

"Why would he do that?" demanded Orik.

Murtagh smiled wryly. "He said this was an opportunity to prove my good intentions. Apparently, he doesn't think I would be able to do much damage even if I did turn on the Varden."

Eragon nodded, then looked to Lorena. "Whatare you doing here? Why aren't you leaving with the women?"

Lorena opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by Murtagh, "I have already spoken to her about it. She is as stubborn as an ox. But I am glad to have her beside me."

Orik still glared at Murtagh, "How do we know you're not lying?"

"Because I say so," announced a firm voice. Ajihad strode into their midst, armed for battle with a breastplate and ivory handled sword. He put a strong hand on Eragon's shoulder and drew him away where they could not hear.

The two humans and dwarf sat. Soon Eragon joined them again and they remained in silence. Light from Farthen Dûr's opening waned as the sun crept below the crater rim. Eragon again stood and left, the group looked and saw him speaking to Arya.

"What did she say?" asked Murtagh as he returned.

"Nothing."

Wrapped in their own thoughts, the defenders sank into a brooding silence as the hours crawled by. Farthen Dûr's crater again grew black, except for the sanguine lantern glow and the fires heating the pitch. Lorena fiddled with the hilt of her new rapier. Murtagh stared into the distance. Eragon alternated between myopically examining the links of his mail and spying on Arya. Orik repeatedly ran a whetstone over the blade of his axe, periodically eyeing the edge between strokes; the rasp of metal on stone was irritating.

They waited for hours. Runners often caused them to grip their weapons but they were false alarms. Finally Orik said, "It's late. We should sleep. If anything happens, the others will wake us."

Lorenalay down, and Murtagh wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close to hisside, his metal armour cold against her cheek. She slept uneasily, images ofswords and blood playing through her dreams. A firm hand lightly shook her arm.She woke with a start.