Chapter 03

As Eragon turned back around to face the camp a hooded figure appeared from the shadows and clubbed him over the head with the butt of a dagger. Saphira roared and Eragon toppled to the ground. The hooded form grabbed Eragon's limp body and held a dagger to his throat while another appeared from the other side of the camp. Brom was up on his feet, sword in hand ready to kill. Lorena searched for weapon before it spoke.

"Ssstop!" Hissed the short creature, Lorenas' blood turned cold. It didn't sound human, but it's hood concealed it's form and she wasn't sure what it was.

It pressed a wicked dagger pressed against Eragon's neck. "I'll kill him."

The old man paused, wanting to shed blood but to not endanger Eragon's. The tall creature walk to Brom and forced the sword out of his clenched hand, then hit him in the temple with the hilt of his own blade. Brom fell to the ground unconscious.

A growl drew the attention of the group, Saphira sat ready to pounce, unquestionably infuriated.

"Behave, beast. We will kill him." The dragon sat still, her eyes never leaving Eragon as the one of the creatures approached her with a bundle of chains. Lorena stood at the edge of the camp, surprised to be unnoticed for so long.

I can either sneak out, and I may be able to get away, or I can help try to kill these bastards.

Lorena grabbed a large rock from next to her feet and began to sneak around the site, with the intension of beating the short creatures' skull. The short creature watched the other and had loosened its grip on Eragon. Steadying her breathe she snuck up almost close enough, before she kicked a small rock.

It was only a small sound, but the creature turned to see the noise. Spotted, Lorena did the only thing that she could think of, and threw the large rock. It scraped against the creatures head, and Lorena cursed, it would have left not much more than a scratch. The creature hissed in distaste, and dropped Eragon to advance on her. Weaponless, she threw a punch, which it blocked faster than she thought possible. It then retaliated by hitting her across the face with the hilt of its dagger, slicing open her cheek and knocking her unconscious.

* * *

"What a pretty thing for one so... insignificant. Maybe I will keep it. Or maybe, if you behave, our master will let you polish it." Lorena opened her eyes, her arms were tied uncomfortably behind her back, her head pounded and she could feel blood slowly dripping down her face. She look up and could see Eragon and Brom bound and grounded, with one of the creatures standing over them examining a sword. The creature then let out a screech and its companion rushed to its side. They spoke to one another in hisses and clicking that made her shiver, before they turned back to Eragon. "You will serve our master very well, yesss."

"If I do, I will kill you." Eragon spoke clumsily, as if he had just woken from a deep slumber.

The creatures chuckled. "Oh no, we are too valuable. But you... you are disposable." Saphira growled, smoke streaming from her nostrils. Brom then groaned, catching their attention. The short creature grabbed his shirt and effortlessly thrust him into the air. "It's wearing off."

"Give him more."

"Let'sss just kill him," said the shorter one. "He has caused us much grief."

"A good plan. But remember, the king's instructions were to keep them alive."

" We can sssay he was killed when we captured them."

"And what of thisss one?" the taller one asked pointing his sword at Eragon. "If he talksss?"