Chapter 21

The Twins entered the study as they left.

"You could have backed me up in there," Lorena whispered angrily to Eragon.

He turned to her looking surprised, "He's the leader of the Varden. We shouldn't be arguing with him, at least not yet."

"Have you forgotten that they just imprisoned Murtagh, or do you simply not care?" Lorena hissed.

"Of course I care, but they aren't requesting much. We both submitted ourselves, he can do the same. I don't-" Eragon paused when he realised Orik was staring at them.

"Later," Lorena said.

Eragon nodded before speaking to Orik. "I'm sorry that you're in trouble because of me," he apologised.

"Don't bother yourself," grunted Orik, tugging on his beard. "Ajihad gave me what I wanted."

"What do you mean?" said Eragon. "You can't train or fight, and you're stuck guarding me. How can that be what you wanted?"

The dwarf eyes him quietly. "Ajihad is a good leader. He understands how to keep the law yet remain just. I have been punished by his command, but I'm also one of Hrothgar's subjects. Under his rule, I'm still free to do what I wish."

"Ajihad just placed you in a powerful position, didn't he?"

Orik chuckled deeply. "That he did, and in such a way the Twins can't complain about it. This'll irritate them for sure. Ajihad's a tricky one, he is. Come, kids, I'm sure you're hungry. And we have to get your dragon settled in."

Saphira hissed. Eragon said, "Her name is Saphira."

Orik made a small bow to her, "My apologies, I'll be sure to remember that." He took an orange lamp from the wall and let them down the hallway.

"Can others in Farthen Dûr use magic?" asked Eragon, as the humans struggled to keep up with the dwarf's brisk pace.

"Few enough," said Orik with a swift shrug under his mail. "And the ones we have can't do much more than heal bruises. They've all had to tend to Arya because of the strength needed to heal her."

"Except for the Twins."

"Oeí," grumbled Orik. "She wouldn't want their help anyway; their arts are not for healing,. Their talents lie in scheming and plotting for power—to everyone else's detriment, Deynor, Ajihad's predecessor, allowed them to join the Varden because he needed their support... you can't oppose the Empire without spellcasters who can hold their own on the field of battle. They're a nasty pair, but they do have their uses."

They entered one of the four main tunnels that divided Tronjheim. Clusters of dwarves and humans strolled through it, voices echoing loudly off the polished floor. The conversations stopped abruptly when they saw Saphira; scores of eyes fixed on her. Orik ignored the spectators and turned left, heading toward one of Tronjheim's distant gates. "Where are we going?" asked Eragon.

"Out of these halls so Saphira can fly to the dragonhold above Isidar Mithrim, the Star Rose. The dragonhold doesn't have a roof—Tronjheim's peak is open to the sky, like that of Farthen Dûr—so she, that is, you, Saphira, will be able to glide straight down into the hold. It is where the Riders used to stay when they visited Tronjheim."

"Won't it be cold and damp without a roof?" asked Eragon.

"Nay." Orik shook his head. "Farthen Dûr protects us from the elements. Neither rain nor snow intrude here. Besides, the hold's walls are lined with marble caves for dragons. They provide all the shelter necessary. All you need fear are the icicles; when they fall they've been known to cleave a horse in two."