Chapter 12

Louise crept back into the Mansion and slipped through the halls to her room. She really hoped her parents hadn't noticed her absence. She opened the door to her room and knew immediately that they had noticed. "Hey, Dad," She said slowly. She put her hands behind her back, tightening her grip on her phone, as if that would help keep it out of Ambassador Brandt's hands.

"Where. Have. You. Been?" Louise knew she was in trouble when he spoke like that. She forced tears into her eyes and looked up at her dad.

"I'm sorry, Dad, I haven't seen my friends in a long time. I needed to see them." The ambassador's face darkened and Louise stepped back quickly, her heart pounding with fear. "Dad, no, please!" His hand flashed out and slapped Louise so hard her head snapped back and her face burned. Louise stumbled back, dropping her phone and covering her face. "I'm sorry!" She screamed, crumpling to the ground and cowering against the wall. Ambassador Brandt advanced on his daughter, picking up her phone as he walked. She pushed herself against the wall, wishing it would suck her in and protect her from another strike, but she refused to cry.

"You are an ambassador's daughter!" Brandt yelled at her. "You will begin acting like one! From now on, you do not leave this house except by the front door and only when accompanied." Louise shook her head. "What was that" Brandt snarled.

"No, Dad," Louise struggled to her feet. "I'm needed at the palace. I will go there whenever I feel like and I will go in whatever manner I choose." She dodged the next slap by lunging for the bedroom door. She ran down the hall, skidding around a corner. She bumped into a maid, latching onto her shoulders, dragging her along, "Quick, where's my mother?" Louise demanded in Wakandan. The young woman pointed towards the library. Louise pushed past the maid and sprinted for the library.

She pulled open the heavy door and threw herself into the large room. "Mamma!" She screamed in French, her mother's native tongue, "Mamma, help me!" Elise Brandt poked her head out of one of the rows of books and Louise scurried over to her and threw herself into her mother's arms. "Mamma, I'm sorry, I had to go. I had to." Louise repeated over and over burying her face her mother's shoulder. Just then the library doors banged open again, Louise shrieked and tightened her grip on her mother. Ambassador Brandt strode in, his face purple with fury, Louise's phone gripped tightly in his left hand. Elise glanced between her husband and her daughter and then moved Louise so that the girl was shielded.

"That girl has been disgracing her position as my daughter, again. She must be taught a lesson."

"William," Elise warned, "This is not the answer. This is not how she learns. The only thing this teaches her is to fear you. It will not fix her rebellious behaviours." Louise buried her face in her mother's back.

Brandt glared at his wife and daughter for a moment, then turned on his heel. "You will not be getting this back," He promised raising the hand that held Louise's phone. He strode away. As the door banged closed behind him, Louise finally relaxed enough to cry. Her mother did not comfort her. Louise had not expected her to. And soon Louise stopped herself from crying.

"Louise," Elise frowned. "You must not provoke your father so."

"I know, Mamma." Louise bowed her head and looked at the floor. "But I promise, this is important. I have to go." Elise's frown deepened.

"No, you silly child," She said firmly, "You do not have to go to the palace whenever you feel like it. You have to listen to your father!"

Louise shook her heard. "I'm sorry, Mamma." Louise brushed past her mother and stopped, "Thank you for not letting him hit me again." She walked back to her room. She stopped at the end of the hall that her bedroom was in. The door to her room was open and several servants were coming out carrying her things. She stopped the first one who walked by her. "What are you doing with my stuff?" Louise asked in Wakandan.

The servant looked at her, obviously confused, "Your father said you wished to be moved closer to him and your mother." He replied, his eyes focused on the angry red welt forming on her cheek. She frowned and moved out of his way. "Isn't that correct, Miss?" She nodded, knowing it was no use to say otherwise, her father's orders out ranked hers, even when it was about things that belonged to her.

"This changes nothing," she muttered stalking off in the opposite direction, "I'm going to keep going to the palace. I'm going to keep doing my job. At least for a few more days."