E I G H T

unedited :)))

"Good luck," Titania whispered as I stared at the glass tube with apprehension. I shot her a grateful smile before hesitantly stepping onto the platform that I knew had bombs underneath, ready to blow if I put a toe over the boundaries before time was up. The glass immediately closed up when I was inside. Titania gave me a thumbs up and grin, mouthing some words that I couldn't decipher. And then I was rising.

Gazing around wildly, I observed my surroundings hurriedly as the timer began to tick down, beginning at 60 seconds. The arena this year was quite simple and standard, but there had to be hidden tricks within. It was a simple forest that stretched for what seemed like miles. There really wasn't much else to it. Squaring my shoulders, I examined the Cornucopia's spoils. My eyes spotted a vest filled with quite a few knives, and the green backpack next to it that would camouflage very nicely into the thick green forest. Shifting my feet into a position that would allow me to spring off nicely, I kept my eyes fixed on the bag and the vest.

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1

Built-up adrenaline propelled me off of my platform and towards the Cornucopia, which gleamed golden in the harsh sun. Sprinting past lesser gear, I quickly snatched up the vest and swung the bag over my shoulder. A knife came flying in my direction and I ducked to avoid it, heard pumping loudly in my chest. Looking around, I saw Glitter viciously stab another tribute multiple times in the stomach as her counterpart swung his sword in all directions. As I watched, Rhys readied yet another arrow and fired, nailing what looked to be the District 12 female in the chest. She collapsed, blood spurting out of the wound. Yanking the arrow out of the dying girl's chest, he fired it again at someone else. It hit them in the arm, but they just shrieked in pain and sprinted out of the bloodbath. Bolt and May were nowhere to be seen - they must have skipped out on the spoils in exchange for a while of pretty much guaranteed life. I couldn't see Everly anywhere in the fray either.

It hadn't even been 10 minutes yet and already the green grass was stained in red blood. Taking a cautious step backwards, I yelped and turned around, only to see in horror that I had accidentally stepped on a corpse. A bright blonde braid was splattered with red and her grey eyes were glassy and open, staring at the sky with empty irises. It was time to leave.

Keeping my eyes and ears peeled for any danger, I made to run out, getting a few metres unscathed before spotting something that could definitely be considered 'danger'. Circa, the brunette female from 3, was running at me, a wild glint in her eyes and a dagger gripped tightly in her hands, poised to kill. Panicking, I grabbed the nearest weapon and stabbed in her direction.

The trident went cleanly into her chest and her metallic grey eyes widened as she collapsed. Frightened, I pulled the trident out of her body and let her bleed out where she lay while I barreled into the forest. 

"El!" A familiar female voice made me skid to a halt and whip my head around. Everly was running towards me, a black bag on her back and a silver spear in her hands. A lock of blonde hair was stuck to her cheek because of the blood that had leaked out of the gash that was present there.

"Everly!" I sighed in relief.

"I couldn't find Bolt and May anywhere," she fretted as we continued running along, slowing down our pace as we further distanced ourselves from the bloodshed going on.