17. NO SUPERS

The following day Peggy picked me up, and as soon as I slid into the car, I could tell she hadn't slept more than three hours.

"Two and a half," she corrected with a yawn handing me something bunched up in her hand.

I opened my palm and let it drop.

"I told Dad it was an art project, and he was super excited. He was telling me all these art terms and stuff; he helped me break it and used his torch so we could connect that little circle piece on it and put it on a chain. He only got like an hour of sleep. We made like five just in case." She tugged at the chain around her neck and lifted it from her shirt to show me a similar thing.

Crystal red mixed with rough rock dangling from a silver chain. Mine had more red than rough, longer than wide, and glinted brightly in the sun.

I put it over my neck and hid it under my shirt as Peggy tucked hers again.

She rolled her shoulders back, grabbed the steering wheel with both hands, and said, "Let's do this."

"Okay, but, Peggs, remember no Supers can touch them or even know about them. It would be--bad."

"I'm caught up on meteor rocks and Supers, T. Everything will be fine. No worries."

I should have known that everything would not be okay. Not because I'm a pessimist but a realist. With all the crazy in my life, things wouldn't stay fine.
***
Leilani stared, and Archer stared. Just stared at us, even after Peggy said we would like to return to the Spotlight and be reporters again, solemnly promising to only write about approved topics.

I wasn't sure if it was seeing Archer, who was hanging by Leilani like a drape (who stays with someone after realizing they are supposed to love someone else?), or the pain in my arm because it was throbbing a little, but I wasn't in the best of moods.

So what popped out of my mouth was, "You got a reporter and a half right now, so are you taking us back or what?"

Leilani blinked over at me with her perfectly made-up smoky eye. "You both wouldn't mind working under me, writing only school-related, factual pieces?"

I scowled. "That's what--"

Peggy elbowed me and said, "No, we wouldn't mind at all. As my...Archer," she corrected at the last minute. I couldn't help but notice his face drop. "As Archer pointed out the last time we were all in this room, I'm working towards getting an internship at Conquer News, and I need this activity. Ross will be rejoining as well."

Leilani blinked again and then straightened her back with a nod. "Well, if you're willing to be here and work with as much diligence as before, "I noticed Peggy's left eyelid twitch just for a second, "I'd love to have you two back."

"Great, we'll start immediately if-if that's okay with you? There's a piece I've wanted to write about Mrs. Pen's long history here." She subtly nudged me.

"And," I piped up with a kind smile, "I'd like to write about the thrills of being in the literary club."

Archer spoke up this time, barely containing his scowl. "The thrills of literally club? Oh, come on!"

"Archer," Leilani reprimanded.

"Lei, let's stop pretending we don't know they know about us." Oh, no more of this we talk, huh? "They're here for one reason and one reason only, to spy. To get the insider no one else in this city has been able to!"

Peggy's eyelid was noticeably twitching now. "Know what, Archer? If I were you, I wouldn't spout such things so haughty because Tristan and I aren't the sneaky ones. We aren't the liars. I built this paper from the ground up, and how dare you accuse me of just wanting to be here to spy on you! Being cousins is the reason I invited you to my birthday parties; being one of the only friends I've ever had and wanted is the reason I wanted you a part of the Spotlight team!"