Chapter 18

"How're you feeling?"

Vivian shuddered. That morning, she'd received some pretty amazing news. Her new liver had arrived, and she was being prepped for the transplant.

"Nervous. But excited."

Carter smiled at her. "You're going to be okay. We'll be waiting for you when you wake up."

Vivian gulped. "Carter, if I don't—"

"You will."

"But if something happens. If there are complications, or if the organ rejects me or anything, I want you to know something."

"I'm not having this conversation with you."

"Please. I don't want to go without saying everything."

Carter sighed and held her hand. "Five minutes. That's it."

She nodded. "I'm sorry. I know saying it isn't going to change what happened, but I'm saying it anyway. I'm sorry, and I mean it. I hurt you so much. I should've called or texted or done something, but I didn't. Instead I just left you all alone. And no amount of apologies can make up for that. But somehow, I don't know what else to do."

"You could come back to me."

Vivian linked her fingers with his. "You know that's not the best thing, Cart."

"Why not? You're going to wake up, and then we can pick up from where we left off."

Vivian smiled sadly. "Carter, I'll be leaving eventually. I'll go off to college, meet new people, start fresh. We're on borrowed time. We can't stay together forever."

Carter hung his head to hide the tears, but he knew she was right. They were never going to work out, they both knew that.

He lifted their linked fingers and placed a soft kiss against her hand. "I'll see you after your surgery. Take care, Vivian."

Vivian sighed as Carter walked out of her room. She felt guilty for hurting him again, but it had to be done. She had to let go.

"Vivian, are you ready?" Sarah stuck her head into room.

Vivian wiped her tears and smiled. "Ready as I'll ever be!"

She followed Sarah towards the operating room. All her friends were already there, waiting for her. Morgan ran up to her and hugged her. "All the best, Vivian. We're all here for you."

"Thanks, Mor." She looked up to see Joey smiling broadly at her.

"Good luck, Vivvy Bear. We're praying for you."

Vivian cringed at his nickname for her. "Thanks, Josey Posey."

Carter was standing at the back, fidgeting with his hands. He stepped forward and took a deep breath.

"You'll be okay. I'll see you when you wake up."

She nodded and smiled at him. She gave him a quick hug before lying down on the bed.

The nurses rolled her bed into the operating room. They connected her to the IV drip and gave her a shot of sedative.

Dr. Christian stood at her side with a scalpel in his hand. "Don't worry, Vivian. It's going to go smoothly. In a few hours, you'll be as good as new."

She nodded and closed her eyes, feeling the anaesthesia take over.

This was it. She was going to be okay.

***

Vivian woke up with a start. She blinked as a blinding white light was shown into her eyes.