Chapter 21

The oldest memory Carter had of his mother was of his sister's seventh​ birthday. He was almost two at the time, and had just begun walking. It was an animal themed party, and Carter insisted on being a Panda. His mother made him a panda costume, painted his face, and even got him some bamboo as a prop. His sister was literally the queen bee, and the entire town was invited for her birthday. They had a pretty big house that could accommodate everyone. The party had been a huge success. The kids had thoroughly enjoyed themselves and the adults couldn't stop raving about what good hosts his parents. But, what Carter remembered most vividly was how happy his mother was. She was beautiful and healthy, and her smile reached her eyes. His father considered himself the luckiest man alive. He loved his wife with all his heart. They were the happiest couple on the planet. It was a fairytale life.

If only fairytales lasted forever.

To the outside world, they seemed like an ordinary middle class family. Proud parents with well paying jobs, beautiful kids with hope and love in their eyes. And maybe, for a long time, they were. But the funny thing about darkness is, it's always there. It doesn't creep up on you like a childhood nightmare. You just don't realise it exists until it hits you in the face.

And that's what happened with Carter. Only in his case, it hit the wall. And the darkness was a bottle of diet pills.

The first time Carter saw his parents fight was when he was six. His father had found out that his mother had been giving his sister diet pills, calling them 'vitamins'. He noticed the change in his daughter's appetite and immediately knew what was wrong. On confronting his wife, all hell broke loose. Abuses were hurled, objects were thrown, tears were shed. All the pent-up emotions over the years were coming out to play. His mother punched her husband, and he stormed out of the house, and didn't return until the next evening.

It was at that moment the little boy hiding behind the banister was overwhelmed with fear, anger, and hatred. The darkness had reached him. On that night, the monsters won.

Ever since that day, Carter held a grudge against his mother. His parents patched things up, but Carter couldn't forget. After his father died, things only got worse. All he wanted to do was kill her. Sometimes, he thinks, he should have.

And when he saw her in the hospital, that's all he felt.

"Earth to Carter."

Morgan waved a hand in front of his face, bringing him back to reality. "You okay?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine."

"Your mother's waiting for you."

"I am aware of that."

Morgan looked at his mother and back at him. "You look like her."

"You know, there's this brilliant phenomenon called heredity. You should really look it up."

Morgan rolled her eyes. "Yes, definitely. Well, don't keep standing here, aren't you going to introduce me, or do I have to that myself?"

Carter looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "You want to meet the woman who ruined my life?"

"No, I want to meet the woman who carried you in her body for nine months."

Carter laughed dryly. "You're out of luck then. That woman is dead."

"Then I guess I'll have to settle for second best. But don't expect me to be nice."

"I'm hoping you won't."

Carter took Morgan's hand and led her to the woman sitting in the waiting area. As soon as they were within earshot, the woman smiled.

"Hello, Carter. How are you?"