Chapter 24

"How's he doing?"

"He'll be fine."

"And how are you doing?"

Kennedy turned to Sarah and shook his head. "I... I don't know." A tear rolled down his cheek.

"I almost lost him today, Sarah."

"But you didn't. He's going to be okay."

"How do we do it?"

"Do what?"

"Deal with death. We see patients die every single day. People we know. People we've treated. People we care about. How do we do it without going insane?"

Sarah shook her head. "I don't know. Maybe we've seen so much of it that we're immune to the pain now. We've accepted death as a part of the cycle. Or maybe we just stay strong for those who can't."

"How am I supposed to stay strong when he's gone?"

Sarah rubbed his shoulder. "We'll pray that day never comes."

Kennedy wiped his tears. "There's a reason they tell us not to get attached to patients. I wish I'd listened."

"Hey, Joey is the best thing to happen to you. Honestly speaking, after Gary I thought you'd never fall in love again."

"Neither did I."

"But you did. You fell in love with the most perfect man you'd ever meet. And you're the happiest when you're him. Don't beat yourself up for being human."

Kennedy looked down and nodded. Dr. Christian exited the emergency room and came up to them. "He's recovering pretty well from the heart attack. All his vitals are normal. He's awake, if you want to speak to him."

Kennedy knocked on the room door and stuck his head in. As soon as Joey saw him his eyes lit up and the peaks on the ECG shot up higher. "Hi!"

"Hey." Kennedy sat down on the edge of the bed. "How are you?"

"I'm good, now that you're here."

"I thought I was going to lose you."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"There's a reason nurses don't date their patients."

"Ken, don't do this."

He sighed. "Jo, our days together are numbered."

"And for us that number is infinity. Nothing is going to happen to us. I promise you that."

Kennedy kissed his forehead. "I love you. More than anything in the world."

"I love you, too. Though I think now might be a great time for me to get myself on the organ recipient list."

Kennedy laughed. "Yeah. I'll get the papers. You should take rest."

Joey nodded. "I'll see you when I wake up."

He closed his eyes and let the medicines take over.

***

When Joey opened his eyes,  he realised he wasn't in his bed. He was in the middle of a lonely road in the woods. He turned his head to come nose to nose with young, pale girl with strawberry blonde hair.

"Hi Heart-Problem Hottie."

"Cassandra? What are you doing here?"

"Apparently you're dreaming about me. Nice."

He sat up. "Vivian said she dreamed about you when she flat lined. Am I dying?"

"How the hell am I supposed to know?"