The Forests Floor

Up above grey clouds pushed across the night sky, driven by an angry howling wind. Down past the tree trunks to their roots imbedded in the soil, ran a small child. Twisting and turning through the tangled branches and under brush. Sweat dripped from her hairline, green eyes widened with panic. Fear coursed through her veins. Behind her imaginary twigs snapped, and nonexistent boots ran after her. She was being follwed by nothing but her vivid imagination. But still she ran. She had to get away, away from her captors. This was the first time she'd seen the world around her in years. Every noise she heard made her pick up in speed, ignoring the burning scrapes and cuts that littered her legs.

Two years prior, a little girl Anastasia Hart, aged six had been abducted from her home by two men and a women, though their identity remains unknown. And now finally she had freed herself from the cellar she'd been confined too.

After a long period of running, the exhausted child slowed.

Ahead, a river trickled peacefully, moonlight danced on the surface. Looking up the winds had pushed the clouds along with themselves far away, revealing the indigo blue skys spotted with stars. Shivering she walked along the sandy bank untill she came across a dug out hole in the side of the escarpment. Inside she found a log which she sat on, looking atound. Green moss hung from over head and the back of the cave was rock, covered in dryed leaves. Facing the river she saw little flickers of light every now and then. Fireflys were coming out to enjoy the serenity.

The child watched in fascination, though soon sleep over came her, and she layed her head in her lap, drifting off.

Some time later, Above the cave something approached quietly. Silent paws hit the sand and walked towards the entrance. Anastasia sencing something near her, looked up and froze when she saw it.

Infront of her stood a gigantic canine. Five times her size, the beasts eyes were a luminous yellow, its fur was black and appeared course.

The two stared at each other for the longest time unmoving, but slowly Anastasia's fear melted away and she held out her hand, beckoning the creature forward. He hesitated, then slowly came to her. Laying his enormous head in her lap, allowing her to hug onto him. Whispering a thank you she kissed his nose and fell asleep.

Later that morning when the sun began to rise up, The animal whom Anastasia had nicknamed Wolf lead her from the cave and across the stream where they walked untill the forest ended abruptly and came apon a main road. They stood at that roadside untill a police car pulled up and an officer stepped out " Little girl are you lost?" Anastasia knodded, holding close to Wolf. He picked her up and set her in the car, seemingly oblivious to the canine that followed in behind her.

At the police station, no one even blinked an eye at Wolf, Or acknowledged him for that matter. It was like the grown-ups couldn't see him.

Finally figuring out who the girl was, they contacted her family, who were two states away in New Jersey. The officer told her they would be here in the morning. Excitement overwhelmed Anastasia who could hardly lay down on the floor to curl up with Wolf, though soon she did fall asleep. Later one of the lady officers placed a blanket on her and dimmed the lighting. And for a split second she could have sworn that she'd seen wolf like eyes glaring at her, but dismissed it and left with the door cracked open. She walked back to her desk and laid her head down. Two hours later the door creaked open, awakening the Officer. "Anastasia?" she called " You awake sweety?" her questions went unanswered. She stood to investigate but was pushed down by an unseen force. She gasped and reached for her gun, but was stopped short when something clenched down on her arm, Tearing through the flesh and crushing the bone. The pain burned through her as she started to scream, though nothing escaped her throat as Wolfs fangs ripped into it, his demonic yellow eyes burned into hers, the life slowly leaving her body. He smiled slowly absorbing her soul and body, leaving a greasy residue where her corpse once sat. Licking the blood from his jaws he crept back into the room, laying back down with the sleeping Anastasia.