●5. Conditions●

May 30, 2015

"Let's talk about something out of our syllabus today." Amaya scanned the whole class, smiling. "Smart City. Let's talk about it." She said excited. "The government of India, under the dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has a vision of developing 'one hundred Smart Cities', as satellite towns of larger cities and by modernizing the existing mid-sized cities, so this is the best topic to talk about." She again scanned the whole class with her beaming eyes and then leaned back to the table. "Okay? Ready?" She asked.

"Eh- such a dumb topic. We should talk about something interesting... sexy, you know?" Amaya heard it. This came from the last bench; she knew that.

"Arey, unhe bolne de na, unki aavaz hi sexy hai. [Oh, let her speak, her voice is too sexy!]" Amaya gulped down really hard, feeling so uncomfortable by the comments passed on her.

"W-what is a smart city? Explain." Amaya asked pointing at the guy who was giggling there on the last bench.

"Me?" He raised his eyebrows as he pointed himself by putting his index finger on his chest.

"Yeah, please. We also want to know what you think of smart city? Eh- sexy city, right?" Amaya asked, with her nose fuming in anger but she controlled her anger, clenching her fists behind her back.

Whole class started laughing at him, including his friends too. He looked down embarrassed but he was angry from inside.

"You don't know who I actually am. My dad is-"

"Who? Your dad is a businessman? Business tycoon? I don't deny that. But who are you?" Amaya raised her voice. "You're nothing Mr Rahul Arora. Don't boast on your dad's name. You-"

"You are not doing good, Amaya! You-"

"Don't cross your limits Rahul. I'm your teacher. You- you just get out of my class." Amaya shouted at him.

"You are-"

"I SAID GET OUT!" Amaya shouted even louder, closing her eyes and pointing the door to him, telling him to leave.

Rahul left the class, stomping his feet angrily. Amaya opened her eyes once he left. She sat back on the chair for some minutes, closing her eyes. The whole class was quiet now. Everyone was looking at her, including those boys who were talking so rubbish about her. She opened her eyes as she calmed herself down.

Exhaling heavily, Amaya said, "Anyone who- who knows anything about- about smart city?" Her mind was totally disturbed.

"Ma'am!" One girl called out. Amaya looked up at her with her raised eyebrows. "Ma'am, if you want, you can skip this lecture." She said but looked down in very next moment as Amaya glared at her.

"Anyone?" Amaya asked loudly, totally ignoring that girl.

Only some first benchers raised their hands.

"Yes, Yash answer." Amaya again sat down on her chair, closing her eyes and listening his answer.

"Smart city. The concept of smart city has different meanings and.. definitions. It's like, better quality life, sustainable development, advanced technology, transport systems and.. umm.. citizens' participation. And it is-"

"That's enough." Amaya smiled at him. Honestly, she didn't even hear what he answered. She was busy debating with her mind and calming it down. "Sit down." He too smiled and sat down. "Anyone else?" She asked tiredly. "Yes please." She didn't know the guy's name.

"Smart cities are those cities which have smart, I mean intelligent, physical, social, institutional and economic infrastructure while ensuring that such a smart city will improve quality of life. It will ensure competitiveness for the city that generate options for.. all residents to pursue their livelihood and interests meaningfully and with joy. Smart city is-"